Tomato Tease

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Have you tried any of the gimmicks? I see people selling some kind of red plastic, that makes the tomatoes ripen faster? With sunshine and cool temps a greenhouse would be perfect. Here's hoping you get some nice red tomatoes! I am still waiting for a green one....
I haven't tried any of the gimmicks. I've been gardening for more than 30 years, and until 3 years ago, we never had a problem with tomatoes getting ripe on the vine.

We also used to have about 25 to 30 days scattered throughout the summer every year where temps reach over 100 degrees... last year, we had 6. Not that I'm a fan of searing heat, mind you, but we need the hot days for the things that have traditionally grown well in this region to continue to do so. It is normally in the upper 90s here this time of year... last weekend, the first weekend of summer, it was raining and 68 degrees. We have normally had at least 4 or 5 days over 100 by now, and temps are usually around 95-100. We have not gotten over 80 degrees since around the 20th of June. If it stays mild like this, the tomatoes that DO turn red will have thick, leathery skins, which is actually a good thing when it comes to canning tomatoes because that makes the skins easier to peel off! Not such a desirable trait in my cherry tomatoes and slicers, though.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Oh, man, DON'T remind me of 2011, when I planted way to many cherries and had to can THEM!!!! :th
I'm almost at that point. I put in 15 cherry tomato plans. Why? 'Cause I wasn't thinking about how prolific the littler buggers are. I have done about 5 batches of halved cherry tomatoes in the dehydrator, and I'll be doing more today.
My German Green tomatoes aren't producing very many fruits, I don't think I'll plant them again. I just started a few Black Krum plants, since I'm going to have room when I pull out the Romas.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all the heat in so many places, I was afraid that after I'd written the above - people living where there have been record highs would be a little angry.
:hide

I am sympathetic. From here, it looks brutally hot! There are corners of the country where things are more normal, down to plain chilly. Then there are other places.

Our Montana gardeners are probably still wondering how it can be so cool in a place like Kallispel in the NW corner of the state but 111F in Miles City, MT - in June! And, I am still wondering how Alaska had all that record winter snowfall but is now experiencing forest fires . . !! I guess the only explanation is that several hundred miles make a big difference right now.

Steve

edited to suggest the idea that a mountain range or 2 and a few gallons of ocean water must make a difference, too

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, the weather differences within 200 miles can be extreme. I am in my own protected little world here, where it's always 67 degrees. We do occassionally have heat waves that last for a couple days. Last week we had one at 82 degrees. This is probably cool temps for many of you. I do feel for those with the high extremes we've been having. :(

Mary

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A while back, I got a mixed assortment of 500 heirloom tomato seeds from an ebayer I've bought from a couple of times. It is over 60 varieties of seeds, all mixed together, gotta plant them and see what you get. So I'm starting some in potting soil today, probably about 36 of them, just to see what I get. I know 36 sounds like a lot, but I always start with more than I can use because a few may get leggy or have other problems & I will have extras to share with friends and fellow gardeners if they go well. This was my first year starting seeds indoors & it has gone REALLY well. I saved a boatload of money starting my own plants from seed instead of buying them from nursery and garden supply stores, though I do have a COUPLE of plants I bought through such retail stores this year.

I have some lemonboy heirloom tomatoes I started from seed and found a lemonboy heirloom at a local nursery. I planted them both with markers and am going to see which one does better. They are about 6 feet apart in the garden with a Rutgers tomato between them.

As far as my surprise heirloom tomato seed mixture, I'm looking forward to seeing what I get! Don't know how many I'll actually be able to specifically identify, but still, it'll be fun to see what grows!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grabbed a few roma's today :cool:

Only like 4, but I split them in half, seeded them and tossed them in olive oil. Covered in basil, salt pepper and bread crumbs.... Baked it off. SO YUMMY!

Latest posts