Unheated Greenhouse

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the heat on in mine about 8:30 this morning and moved the plants out. It was 24°f outdoors this morning and a basin of water had ice on it - in the greenhouse.

With the furnace and the sunlight, I had the temperature up to 64° in no time and have had the furnace off and been venting it more & more since 11am. It is after 2pm now.

I would have had to wait for the sun to warm it to 64°until 11am, or nearly, if I hadn't turned on the heat in there. This, on a very sunny day! There will probably be only one more night for me to bring the plants in and leave the heat off until morning. I'll have to have it running from about 6pm until about 10:30am with this kind of weather - if I want to leave the plants out overnight.

I haven't thought much about heaters that do not require electricity. There must be some that have some kind of thermostat, but I don't know. It could be real bothersome if there is no automatic control for when the heater runs and when it doesn't.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a unheated greenhouse.the nights are so cold.i have to bring my seedlings in at night.i need some type of heat for mine.my greenhouse is about 100 yards from my house.i am not comfortable running a extension cord that far.
We put an underground line out to our horse field for a light and an outlet for the heater for the horse water tank. Other than digging it is cheap and easy to do. There is wire that can be buried directly and other wire that you can put it through a PVC pipe. After shlepping water out in the bitter cold for 30 years it is a god send. We did use extension cords for a few years. It is 125 feet from the barn, not 100 yards.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the heat on in mine about 8:30 this morning and moved the plants out. It was 24°f outdoors this morning and a basin of water had ice on it - in the greenhouse.

With the furnace and the sunlight, I had the temperature up to 64° in no time and have had the furnace off and been venting it more & more since 11am. It is after 2pm now.

I would have had to wait for the sun to warm it to 64°until 11am, or nearly, if I hadn't turned on the heat in there. This, on a very sunny day! There will probably be only one more night for me to bring the plants in and leave the heat off until morning. I'll have to have it running from about 6pm until about 10:30am with this kind of weather - if I want to leave the plants out overnight.

I haven't thought much about heaters that do not require electricity. There must be some that have some kind of thermostat, but I don't know. It could be real bothersome if there is no automatic control for when the heater runs and when it doesn't.

Steve
I would think any heater would have a thermostat.

buckie52

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We put an underground line out to our horse field for a light and an outlet for the heater for the horse water tank. Other than digging it is cheap and easy to do. There is wire that can be buried directly and other wire that you can put it through a PVC pipe. After shlepping water out in the bitter cold for 30 years it is a god send. We did use extension cords for a few years. It is 125 feet from the barn, not 100 yards.
I could plug in to the chicken coop.which is a lot closer.I have read so many horror stories about coop fires.from using extension cords if you pull to many amps.

buckie52

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this guy told me this morning they have a greenhouse that they grow orchids in.they use a oil filled radiator that they found at a thrift shop.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our propane camping heater has a thermostat - not real specific, but maybe like 5 different settings you can use between Low and High. It also has an automatic cutoff in case it gets bumped or tipped over.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can buy a kerosene heater that doesn't require electricity. They have low med hi thermostats on them. We used a couple of them for a while after an ice storm that knocked the power out for a couple of weeks. They are available at hardware stores or at building supply stores. They put out pretty good heat and will shut off if bumped.

buckie52

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can buy a kerosene heater that doesn't require electricity. They have low med hi thermostats on them. We used a couple of them for a while after an ice storm that knocked the power out for a couple of weeks. They are available at hardware stores or at building supply stores. They put out pretty good heat and will shut off if bumped.[/

Latest posts