Victory Gardening Revival

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think you are preaching to the choir, Bluebonnet. We don't know why other people do, or don't do what we think is best for them. I do know that shaming them won't work.

Less along the lines of shaming and more along the lines of poking holes in their excuses and making Victory Gardening a palatable and attractive undertaking.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make it drink, but if you throw a handful of hay and some bobbing apples into the water, you can the results you want without the struggle. :)

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You know how some folks bite off more than they can chew or otherwise eat with their eyes and put too much onto their plate? That is what has happened to me with all of my plantings.

What I do is I invite elderly preppers and others that I know do not have the money to stock up on food storage and I invite them out to come and gather, can, dehydrate and otherwise collect and store the excess food that I currently produce.

This way, it helps get the folks who are already oriented towards preparing for hard times the ability to get what they need and who also tend to be the folks who utilize resources like food banks better supplies than can be found in such stores.

It allows them to avoid the negative feelings of accepting a hand up, because so many of the older generation particularly feel that is it wrong to accept help.

I buy canning jars and other goods in bulk, so I get them rock bottom cheap. I let the folks come over and we make a day or even a week out of it. In exchange, I get to listen to their stories of how their lives were like and stories of how they used to can with their parents and grandparents. We spend the whole day picking foods and washing them and getting them ready and in between all this I get out my record player and play some old fashioned classics that I know they like and we decide on what to cook, because not only do we can, we also cook meals and snacks to keep us going and we just in general have a good time together as neighbors, like it should be.

It wish the entire world could get back to that kind of life.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't really think about giving to some of the local food kitchens in the area. we do have a few i could probably give to. i'll check around so i'll be ready when i get an overabundance. i guess i just always hear about the local food banks asking for non perishable stuff than anyplace asking for fresh to run their kitchens!

Bluebonnet

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Victory Gardens now aren't what they used to be intended for. it used to be that people planted their gardens not just for themselves, but to help supply food to send to the troops. now we're not allowed to do that since everything has to go through FDA and USDA inspections, and then transformed into MRE's before it is sent to the troops.

today most people will plant a row for hunger, however, not every area has food drop locations to donate fresh fruits and veggies to be given to the poor. i know my area doesn't seem to accept fresh fruits and veggies to be given to the poor. our area does have food pantries to donate canned or non perishable item. they do allow the EBT/Snap cards to be used at farmers markets now, but with the high prices i've seen at the markets for some items i have to question how that will attract poor people to want to buy from them. :idunno

i like that our local EBT/Snap program allows people to use their dollars to buy veggie plants and some seeds to grow their own. the only problem i've heard from a few people i know are on that program and live in subsidized housing in our area is that their lousy neighbors will steal the ripe veggies or their kids end up destroying the plants.

I feel for the troops, because I do send troop packages and they are not allowed to accept food that is not prepackaged from the store. :(

The MRE's are designed to be eaten for three weeks, before they are supposed to switch to fresh food or for other supplies to become available.

Something that might make it through if you ask, is plant pots and seeds. You have to make sure that is ok with the Commanding Officer first. There are melons that can be grown that way and the troops are able to receive this as a morale booster and comfort from home. This is more for permanent bases, however, as troops on the move can not be expected to take such items with them.

Stealing food from your neighbors garden happened many a time during the Great Depression. Some families had it really tough, but were too ashamed to ask for help, because they knew their neighbors were suffering too.

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The anti-GMO movement has gained some traction so you do see some more people gardening & canning butts not like it's a major sustaining force. We're still in the minority by a long shot here.

The problem is it comes up in times of need. In times of plenty nobody wants to mess with it. Or when it's no longer cool everybody let's it go. How many people still have chickens in their backyard?

Or how many people ride their bikes to work to reduce their carbon footprint?

What's next a composting craze?

As far as the single mother not shelling pecans I get that. If she's already working & a single parent I'm sure she doesn't want to take on another project. Sure pecans are great & yes they are free but given what she's already probably doing I can understand why she's not dealing with them.

I donate my extras to the local food bank. They will accept any donations but said they don't advertise that they take fresh foods because of the logistics of storing them.

I agree with Ridge better to contact a food pantry or soup kitchen that's better equipped to handle fresh produce.

I know here in Michigan we also have Sportsmen Against Hunger and there might be a similar organization in your area that might be able to help you with food donations also.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would like to garden, but are overwhelmed by all the different approaches to it. When people ask me, I say just start with planting something you like. Don't worry about 'over-thinking' it, you will have successes and failures. Don't be afraid of failure, I don't think there is a single gardening mistake I haven't made and so far I've lived through all of them. (The slugs are not faring so well :rolleyes:.) Don't try to do it all in one season.

I think sometimes people are afraid that it's too complicated (not) or they will be criticized for not adhering to someone else's gardening philosophy. Lots of people didn't grow up on farms or in gardening families, so it's intimidating. I love the kindness of my gardening buddies and try to pass it on.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd like to see churches get far more involved. Every one of them has huge useless lawns that could be community gardens. It's shameful to grow grass in a starving world

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We always plant way too much! Then the surplus is given to my MIL and the other residents of the Sr. Housing complex where she lives. What they do not want or need we can give to the churches food pantry.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I put in an additional plot this year for the local food pantry. Luckily ours has refrigerated storage and accepts fresh produce. The director told me that they would be happy to provide labor to grow food but can't afford land...sooo...I'm working to get that labor connected to those churches and schools with land

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting threads as at bible study tonight, we were talking about getting with the Master Gardeners Assoc. As they do that. We have an acre we could use.

Latest posts