Victory Gardening Revival

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm delighted to hear that! So often the solutions to problems are right in front of us and we over look them. Unless I miss my guess this type of solution will be needed.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see churches get far more involved. Every one of them has huge useless lawns that could be community gardens. It's shameful to grow grass in a starving world

Hi Ken - Just wanted to toss out my $.02
I see that you've complained about churches having lawns on a few other posts. Just about everyone in my church who has a yard has some sort of garden. We grow for ourselves, our neighbors, to put up for future use and to give to those who have a need. Our church building is surrounded by a large lawn. It is the only place in the community that isn't govt owned where people can gather. We host harvest festivals, spring fairs, community outdoor movie nights, health fair/community yard sales, Wacky Water Wednesdays, Vacation Bible School (and all of it's outdoor playtime), Kids Camp, Super Summer Camp and a host of other things that could not happen if that space was not available.

sBo_bouncing2[1].gif

Welcome to TEG! I can't wait to hear about your gardens.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend works at a food pantry run out of the basement of her church. They once got in large sacks of flour as a donation. They couldn't give them away, no one wanted to have to cook. If someone is not willing to do the work of cooking, they would never do the work in having a garden. Sad but people would rather take a handout then get off their asses and work.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many "people would rather take a handout than....work", but there are also many who would have rejoiced in a large sack of flour. They are usually not the ones who rush to the food pantry so they wouldn't know it was available.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL - Sprinklers, wadeing pools, water balloon fights, etc.
From June - Sept when the adults are in choir practice or Bible study, the kids have a short study time followed by going WILD out in the front field getting wet and such. Eventually they all gather back in the shade for snacks and to dry off.
Sometimes they load everyone up in the vans and go off to someone's pool for the afternoon.