Waited too long!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I'd been turning it over in my brain for many weeks, I just got around to putting in my chick order today with MMH. Almost all of the breeds I wanted are out or on limited availability now. :hit That will teach me not to procrastinate on doing my taxes in the future! :(

I was wanting to get my new chicks in for June 8th, to time out when they come into lay with the ousting of the current layer flock. I was going to keep them until the moult began, then move in the new POL pullets. Seemed like a good plan otherwise, if I had only placed the order sooner.

Ava's gonna be soooo bummed out. They don't have her Mottled Houdans for anywhere around that timeframe. I dread telling her.

See, I do need another coop, then I wouldn't have such logistical challenges. Now to convince the hubby. :p

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I hate it when that happens to me! Are there other places where you could find those chicks? But I agree with Thistle, for future purposes you do need another coop.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I searched a few other popular hatcheries and found even less selection. Wow, lesson learned! It's so deceptive to feel like you have plenty of time when the hatching schedules stretch out all the way to October for most of them. I didn't realize I needed to "reserve" them. :\

I did go ahead and make my order and they're coming this Monday. Ack! Gotta hurry and get ready. But that was the best I could do to get the selection I wanted. I had to order 25 instead of the 15 I originally intended because of the earlier ship date. The weather has been nutty here lately too. I hope it won't get too cold.

This is what I ordered: 5 EEs, 5 Blue-laced Red Wyandottes, 5 Silver-laced Wyandottes and 10 Speckled Sussex. No Mottled Houdans, but Ava said she will be happy if we pick up a few banties from TSC. The extra roosters will be for dinner. The Speckled Sussex are supposed to fill out nicely for that, so that's why I got extra of them. My coop can hold 10 hens currently. I guess I'll sell any extra hens at POL. Should be able to get $15 a piece for them.

I did discover that Meyer Hatchery has a much wider selection of unusual breeds and they are closer to me. I may try ordering from them next year. Since I keep my layers for fun more than production, I like to have a real pretty, flashy flock. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they straight run Journey? I love a pretty flock, but the last batch of pretties I had were such dismal layers that my per egg costs were - well, I don't even want to try to figure it out! An expensive hobby is what it turned into. :\
I'm excited about my new batch of Red Stars, boring, but I'm looking forward to drowning in eggs!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they straight run Journey? I love a pretty flock, but the last batch of pretties I had were such dismal layers that my per egg costs were - well, I don't even want to try to figure it out! An expensive hobby is what it turned into. :\
I'm excited about my new batch of Red Stars, boring, but I'm looking forward to drowning in eggs!

Yeah, straight run (or males) was all they had. I like to do straight run anyway, since we'll eat the extra roos.

I had 30 Black Stars a few years ago. Oh man, do they put out the eggs. They were a little high-strung and not so pretty though. I ended up selling those. I've done EEs since then and they'll always be one of my favorites. I'm getting 6 large blue/green/beige eggs a day out of 8 two-year-old hens right now, which is a good output. I sell or give away a few extras when I have them. Then they're also meaty and calm/gentle, a big plus. This time though, I'm wanting some big ol' fluffy butts to decorate my yard. :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had Houdans my first year i started. got mine from Cackle but they were a little on the flaky side and i didn't care for them. out of the 5 i got only 1 ended up being a female and i can't remember if i sold/traded or lost her to something it was that long ago (had a raccoon attack that 1st year). she was ok but never really seemed to be interested in my presence like my other birds.

i resisted the urge to pick up chicks tonight while at Tractor Supply. all they had left were some duckings and bantams i think were silkies, the shanks and slight tufts on the head made me think that but i couldn't touch them to be sure. i'm going to wait for their next shipment of pullets to see if i can get a few barred rocks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I'd been turning it over in my brain for many weeks, I just got around to putting in my chick order today with MMH. Almost all of the breeds I wanted are out or on limited availability now. :hit That will teach me not to procrastinate on doing my taxes in the future! :(

I was wanting to get my new chicks in for June 8th, to time out when they come into lay with the ousting of the current layer flock. I was going to keep them until the moult began, then move in the new POL pullets. Seemed like a good plan otherwise, if I had only placed the order sooner.

Ava's gonna be soooo bummed out. They don't have her Mottled Houdans for anywhere around that timeframe. I dread telling her.

See, I do need another coop, then I wouldn't have such logistical challenges. Now to convince the hubby. :p
Try a different hatchery.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been there Journey. A few years back after a couple of dogs someone nicely abandoned out here in the country for the good life, I needed some more chickens. The only hatchery that had what I wanted, some Speckled Sussex cockerels and Black Australorp pullets, was Meyer. This was up in the summer and everyone else was sold out. So I got five SS cockerels so I have several to choose from for the following year's flock master, four BA pullets to reinforce that area, and a dozen Red Sex Link males for meat. These were a cross between Rhode Island Red males ands Rhode Island White hens so they were decent size. Since I had specific needs I figured it was cheaper to get the ones I wanted and fill out the shipment with cheap males for meat.

Latest posts