Waited too long!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's crazy how coop building has taken off as a cottage industry around here. There are some very nice ones out there, but some of them are $1200. It would take a lot of eggs to start breaking even on a purchase like that.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my 8x16 coop cost me in 2012 about $1k but i went all out on insulating it and covering the insulation over with thin plywood. and i'm still not finished with fully insulating & covering it over and i have the back outside to finish with the cedar shingles-so probably another $100 in supplies to add to that cost. i insulated it not for the cold weather, i did it for sound proofing due to keeping a few roosters on 1 acre of land and nearby neighbors.

i see a cute 'cottage' coops with a tiny run down the street from me and i know they have large fowl birds in it. but i find it funny the birds are always loose in the yard and the yard is barren of any emergency shelter from predators. last year our mail lady said she had heard a few chickens were taken from a hawk in their yard. :rolleyes: wonder why.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
my 8x16 coop cost me in 2012 about $1k but i went all out on insulating it and covering the insulation over with thin plywood. and i'm still not finished with fully insulating & covering it over and i have the back outside to finish with the cedar shingles-so probably another $100 in supplies to add to that cost. i insulated it not for the cold weather, i did it for sound proofing due to keeping a few roosters on 1 acre of land and nearby neighbors.

i see a cute 'cottage' coops with a tiny run down the street from me and i know they have large fowl birds in it. but i find it funny the birds are always loose in the yard and the yard is barren of any emergency shelter from predators. last year our mail lady said she had heard a few chickens were taken from a hawk in their yard. :rolleyes: wonder why.

That's a reasonable price for such a large coop Chickie.
My horse shelter up front, which is now my equipment shed was about $1000. It's also 8 x 16, all metal exterior and roof with a sliding barn door. No insulation, but it does have 1/2 " plywood 4' up on all the interior walls.

The 8x12 littlehorse shelter was about $500, it's all wood with a metal roof.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the addition alone on my coop was around $300. I thought it was going to be around $100. Luckily my husband didn't say a word. ;) I think the main part of the coop was around $550.

Mary

Latest posts