West Virginia Count Down!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions. :)

@baymule I don't have a truck. I have an SUV with a tow package. :) Same thing but the toddler complains less. So far we're planning to take next to nothing with us, and drive there in a u-haul. We actually don't have a lot of stuff to begin with, and everything but the couch, the computers, and my incubator are all thrift shop finds/black friday sales/auctions. Most of the stuff I have can probably be found cheaply again in WV.

@thistlebloom Yes we could, we'll see who is still alive and able to make the trip two years from now.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your plans, also not to be a bubble buster. Groomers do not make the same money everywhere. If people are trying to just pay the bills first thing they cut back on is extras with having dog groomed is. I get a $125 for a St poodle, my friend who is very good is lucky to get $60 for same cut. I would call some shops and Vet offices and see what the going rate in that area is.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your plans, also not to be a bubble buster. Groomers do not make the same money everywhere. If people are trying to just pay the bills first thing they cut back on is extras with having dog groomed is. I get a $125 for a St poodle, my friend who is very good is lucky to get $60 for same cut. I would call some shops and Vet offices and see what the going rate in that area is.

And the amount varies from shop to shop as well. My concern isn't so much that, because I'm used to seeing very wide price ranges even here in WA, its the fact that I'd be on commission there. I've always been hourly. It's fine as long as they have enough dogs to keep me busy, but if they don't that's a problem! Unfortunately that is something I have to go see for myself, or perhaps call the various shops and annoy them with nosy questions.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
On moving chickens... There was a thread on BYC a while back where someone had made a tractor out of a minivan. It had been the 'trash hauler' for a while, so still ran, but was pretty junky otherwise. Almost as soon as they finished it wildfires struck and they used it to evacuate the flock and to house them for a week or 2 until they could go home again. Chickens travel well. It's the spilled water that's the problem.
I don't know how many you have, but I would not try to move (inside an suv) anymore than 1 or two. I think the fertile eggs are a good idea. Or even week old chicks = mini-flock in a carrier.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we had a spur of the moment yard sale to try and both cut down on stuff we have right now AND make some much needed $ for the move. The only items set out for this yard sale are things that I don't want to take with me and don't plan on replacing when I get there. I sold more farm fresh eggs at the yard sale than anything else!

We had a really mean lady come to the yard sale and insult every single item in my sale. She went through everything, including my prisma color markers. After critiquing the fact that I left some extra caps in there in case one gets lost, she offered me $5 for it.

If it were a little kid, I'd have accepted it in a heart beat, but her attitude was so poor I told her that I paid $5 a marker originally, and there was 52 markers in there. She stomped off and I decided to call it a day.

Put the same stuff up for sale in a local facebook group, and had a $25 bid on those same prisma color markers. They would go to a young lady who is having a birthday on Tuesday. And what a nice lady who put the bid up! :)

Despite not selling much today, it wasn't a day wasted. There is a pile of dirt in the corner of our yard, so I took my son out to enjoy a rare sunny day here in Washington.

DSCN3998.jpg

In case you are wondering, he believes himself to be a dinosaur. Very difficult to get normal photos of him.

DSCN3999.jpg

And also in case you are wondering, he knocked his front tooth out about the same time he got a black eye, which is about the same time MIL gave him the haircut from hell. The barber who now has my loyal patronage fixed the haircut for free. It was that bad!

DSCN4004.jpg

We had a glorious time in the dirt, and made a little money for our move too. All in all a successful day!

724 days till the count down is over!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a cutie! My ex-MIL once gave my son a horrible haircut that even a beauty shop could not correct. Years ago...... she never even asked, just did it. I was so mad! Go ahead, admit it, you are moving cross-country to get away from a meddling MIL! :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts