West Virginia Count Down!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a cutie! My ex-MIL once gave my son a horrible haircut that even a beauty shop could not correct. Years ago...... she never even asked, just did it. I was so mad! Go ahead, admit it, you are moving cross-country to get away from a meddling MIL! :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, yes.

I am not a confrontational person, but after 5 years of having my water shut off (We were living in an apartment over her garage at the time and I did too much laundry) and my parenting skills corrected. ("He hit me today. He must have learned that from someone. Are you beating your child?") and her trying to throw me out of my own house because OH hurt his back at work and this is my fault...I'm done. A few weeks ago she screamed at me for being a liar because I told Devin I didn't appreciate her critical commentary, and since she only does this to help me, my opinion is obviously a lie. I haven't spoken to her since, and I'm not going to.

Two years is really too long, but I am prepared to get a restraining order if necessary. Enough is enough!

Only 723 days till I'm free from tyranny. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife is an only child ! MY MOTHER IN LAW as well as MY FATHER IN LAW WERE MY BEST FRIENDS ! How lucky can one get. :celebrate

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I truly envy you. I want nothing more than family peace and to get along with everyone, but you can only be a doormat so long. :idunno

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! Then divorced the equally physco-son and they both can jump in the lake. They live 8 miles from each other and never speak....... :lol:

@AMKuska I feel your pain. So happy for you that you are leaving the madness.

Because of the miserable witch I was subjected to, I take special efforts to respect my grand daughter's parents and how they want to raise her. I respect my DD and DSIL and stay out of their business. As a result, they love us dearly, call me and DH their best friends and we have a great relationship.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was sure a good day for our farm fund today. :) The mom and daughter who wanted the prismacolor markers came to pick them up today. I feel really good about them getting the markers. The daughter is an incredible artist. I wanted to commission her to do a portrait of Rocco. She is that good! I might still ask her to do it. I really liked her work, and she also loves agility and farming. Woohoo! The mom also bought some eggs, so now we are down to a decent level of eggs in the fridge. Hopefully I can get a little bit more stuff sold and be that much closer to lift off!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well today is the big day for Tweedle Dee. Her appointment is in less than an hour to find out if she has a terrible disease, or if it is something easily treatable. I am really worried about this. If it is Infectious Laryngiotracheatis (I won't pretend I know how that is spelled) I am looking at either isolating my chickens forever or culling them all. These are beautiful birds that I spent a lot of time and money on. I was hoping that even if I couldn't take them to WV with us, I'd be able to sell them or some of their fertilized eggs to help finance our trip.

I had a neighbor come over with her stethoscope to listen to her lungs before taking her in. She was unable to hear anything abnormal and she is a retired nurse. I know it's not likely, but I'm secretly hoping that I will take these two to the vet and be informed the fair vet was a nut and there is nothing wrong. :) That would be awesome.

Anyway, it is very nearly time to go so I am signing off to pack up the chickens and the kid. Please wish us luck!

Only 721 days until the count down is over!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope she is ok! There was a thread on BYC about a young man's chickens that had caught disease. He incubated eggs, raised the chicks, had them tested and they were disease free. Then he had the unfortunate job of destroying his flock. But he was at least able to start over. So maybe if your poor girl does have an illness, you can start over with hatching your own chicks and isolate them from the others. But the best scenario would be that the show vet was WRONG.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tahoma Veterinary Clinic is the only vet that does chickens in my immediate area, so this is where I took the Tweedles. I'd never been there before, but it is a very nice looking place with a big red barn and lots of old rusted out trucks and tractors for decoration.

DSCN4014.jpg

The receptionists were all very curious about Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum having never seen silkies before. The Tweedles were very happy to complain to them about all their woes, being shoved into a box against their will and unfairly brought to a clinic. They seemed pleased by the sympathetic noises they got.

When we finally got checked in, the chickens, having been suitably flattered, allowed themselves to be weighed with minimal fuss. I explained why I brought them both instead of just Tweedle Dee -- I'm not sure which one is which. :D They look identical! I told the vet the choice was to bring her these two, or the one that pecks your eyeballs out, and she was very glad to ferret out which one is Tweedle Dee.

DSCN4020.jpg

The vet looked into her eyes, listened to her heart, looked inside her mouth, at her skin, and even checked her vent. Then she looked at the other one, and we discovered...

The chickens are perfectly fine. :)

No signs of ILT, mycoplasma, or any other serious disease. She thinks it is just a very mild virus, and suggested antibiotics for 7 days to protect against secondary bacterial infections. She's going to confer with the vet that started all this in the first place, but right now things are looking better than good!

DSCN4022.jpg

Alexii and I decided to celebrate with some goodies. Alexii promptly turned into a dinosaur and roared his victory over the chocolate. >.< Oh well. He was very good at the vet and didn't cry or complain once, even though he hadn't yet had a nap. :)

Latest posts