What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
digits,
You hilled your potatoes too thats good ;) . I think your suppose to hill them 2 times, so in a few more weeks you would hill them again. Mine plants were around 12" before I hilled, how big were yours? I had to thin out the potato plants too. I just hope I didn't hill them too late, how big do they have to be in order to hill?
I always thought you hilled potatoes as they grew, continously, ???

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 2 beds (about 200 sqft) of potatoes are 5 varieties. The beds run from full sun to morning shade and a fair amount of it, at that.

Therefore, the plants are of various sizes from about 6" on up above a foot tall.

My primary concern with hilling is that the tubers don't grow above ground. The fertilizer seems to work better if I can get it covered and compost is sure nice to gather around most any plant. Besides, I've just smothered any tiny weed that dared to grow between those spuds ;)!

I've never hilled potatoes more than once but I will be back to cover any tubers I see above the soil surface. The seed potatoes were planted at about 8" when they went in.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, planted more pepper plants and replaced dead tomato. Today, I got to till up about 1/3 of my garden as seeds didn't come but weeds did. Replanted beets, parsnips, radishes and kohlrabi. Also transplanted another 10 asparagus roots and about 50 iris's. Wish someone close by wanted iris's as I'd give them a few hundred.............

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry everyone, grandmas are just impossible arent they!
I do have something I need to talk about concerning our potatoes. I planted a long row of kennebec.. and they look awesome, good color, good height, blooming really well. I planted Youcon gold in the row beside them, they shot up, I hilled, they shot up a WHOLE LOT more, would have been hard to hill that much, since they were planted in a trench to start with, then hilled up almost a foot before I decided not to hill any higher, so I added a pil of straw to cover more plant, and they shot up more.. a few are now blooming, I guess my question is-are yucon gold normally a taller potato? This is so weird.
Hope I am not off topic again, I know this is a what did you plant topic, but I notice others were discussing hilling potatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Yukons are nice, tall plants. Generally, they are larger than others.

(I am just jealous. My 40 year-old Franciscan son was just visiting . . .

DD is getting into her mid-20's. There is some question about adoption (no one asked me for a vote :rolleyes:) but she still wants to be established in a career.)

Steve
still waiting for grandchildren

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today, Hubby and I planted divisions from Liriops and Stella d'Oro Daylillies that I bought on ebay. They look really healthy and were super cheap. It may take a couple of years, but they should look great once they take off!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
My Yukons are nice, tall plants. Generally, they are larger than others.

(I am just jealous. My 40 year-old Franciscan son was just visiting . . .

DD is getting into her mid-20's. There is some question about adoption (no one asked me for a vote :rolleyes:) but she still wants to be established in a career.)

Steve
still waiting for grandchildren
You are fine :) I would never shut up anout my family if someone did not make me :/
I value your answers very much, and am glad to know the yucons should be taller.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of potatoes...I have yet to get mine in! I still have enough days in my growing season. I'm kinda hoping this will work to my advantage and maybe they'll store better. :p

Today I planted 2 teepees of heirloom pole beans, a little borage for the bees, four 15 ft rows of rainbow popcorn and 6 purple cabbage. And in my newest raised bed I put in cukes, lots of carrots (kaleidoscope mix and danvers) and lots of scallions.

I still have melons, pumpkins and various squash to go. Then I can feel sane and caught up! We are supposed to have some beautiful, sunny weather over the next 4 days. I can see the goal line!! :ya

Also, my DH got the last of the groundhogs yesterday. My garden is safe for now! :plbb

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pulled up the first planting of beans today, re-prepped the bed and planted top-pick pinkeye peas, as well as a misc row of cucumbers to utilize the trellis that was already in the center of the bed.