What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Planted 100 bean plants today. 50 Tendergreen and 50 Soy. Was going to wait a bit longer and let them all get their second set of leaves, but Mother Nature came through with a vengence last nite and decided to throw my flats around. As I picked the little beans up off the ground, I decided to throw them in the bed real quick. Hopefully they will do OK.

Now if the rest of the garden decides to stand back up I'll be OK.

Oats laid over, potatoes down, chard looking lazy..........:/ Let the sun dry things up a little and see what I can do. Hope the rest of you faired better.

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
shadetech, I hope it all recovers. I went through that earlier in the year with the wind whipping my planted vegetables around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
shadetech said:
Planted 100 bean plants today. 50 Tendergreen and 50 Soy. . . . Oats laid over . . .
I hope your garden was able to right itself, Shadetech.

Soy and oats? I think I may have more than 50 soybean plants out there but my oat field this year will compare well with the wheat field I had in 2010! Yes, the wheat field was taller than it was wide :D.

No wheat this year but I don't think it will end my career as a wheat farmer. Trying those naked (hulless) oats. Have to say the seed didn't look all that naked to me . . :rolleyes:.

Today I'll plant - more cilantro! It is my never-mastered attempt to have this herb a little more consistently thru the growing season. As usual, the best looking plants are the ones that survived the winter but the spring-sown are off to a good start!

. . . just can't trust the cilantro to be around when the 1st tomatoes and peppers are harvested.

Steve

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To give you an option about your cilantro....

I purposely can tomatoes in pints (about 20 or 30) so that when the cilantro comes in the next year I have some home grown tomatoes to make salsa.

Side note: My older cilantro has bolted for the 2nd time this year. :rolleyes: I put out more seed. If I would keep it trimmed, it doesn't bolt as fast.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put in my potato patch yesterday evening and all of my assorted squash, pumpkins and melons today.

I did the no-till potato patch that you bury in straw like Trunkman showed us. That British dude's video convinced me to try to cheat at potatoes at least one more time! The basket taters tanked for me last year...but it was probably my own fault. :rolleyes:

ETA: You know, I'm starting to feel back on top of this garden now. I even mulched this year BEFORE the weeds showed up! I just have a couple more random things to put out and I'm DONE planting...for now.

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well I put handrails for Gnomes around the potatoes and they seem to appreciate the help (the potatoes not the gnomes.) Everything else seems to be making a comeback, but not up to their previous standard.
I fell for you Steve with the weather up there. I lived in the NE Kingdom of VT for a while and the season was "short." Never the same from year to year.
Thought I'd try some things in small amounts I hadn't tried before like Oats and peanuts. Oh and Pintos (never even thought they were pole beans :D )

henry

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Pintos are pole beans! Thanks for the info, I have had many customers ask me about that and the only thing I could tell was buy some beans from the bulk food section and give it a try. Also I just came in from a rain shower after planting more beans in every spot I could find, DW is looking at me like I'm weird.... and I don't care! :lol:

shadetech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The package for the Pintos said 'semi runner' and I failed to correlate that to needing vertical room. They grow like pole beans so I gave them a piece of bamboo to climb and so far most are climbing.
Learn somethin' new everyday :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I realized the other day that I completely forgot to plant any sunflowers this year. Definitely had to remedy that! I put in 7 short rows of them, all kinds, in the last remaining spot in my garden where I could possibly squeeze something in (had to shovel my manure pile over a few feet...) They will bloom before fall, but I doubt I'll get to harvest any seeds for eating off of the Mammoth sunflowers. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Rattlesnake pole beans, yesterday. The seed packet said that they are Cascade Giants - I've been meaning to try those! What's with the 2 different names? If I hadn't read the small print, I'd never have known they are the same variety :/.

The Painted Mountain flour corn was planted 4 weeks ago and I hadn't really intended to wait this long to plant the pole beans at their feet. I couldn't find the seed for what I think is Oregon Giant pole beans that I've planted for about 5 or 6 years now. The seed basket & boxes are completely gone thru every winter so that a list can be made . . . now, if I can just find that list :rolleyes:.

They will have to hurry to fully mature and make dry beans but if I can get thru the squash & pumpkins in this, my Sisters Garden, I can use them as green beans. The Oregon Giants were not planted until well into July last year and they produced a nice little crop of green beans in September. These will be climbing on the Painted Mountain corn so, we will see how it all goes :cool:.

Steve

Latest posts