What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow rosemary all year around here it does fine I live in a "temporate" part of the Puget Sound we only get a day or two of snow unless it was like last year but that was freaky and only happens once in a while

I do notice however that the rosemary does get really piney in the winter ..it blooms here in February some years and is always my first "blue" of the garden ..like you I am in love with the blues ...pun and irony intended!

I think we are twins weather wise Hattie :) and I am with you time to get the fleece out for the plants and for us!

it was chilly this morning but it has warmed up nicely to about 88 so maybe my figs and tomatoes will be fine

I hope I hope I hope!!!

how may annual inches of rain do you get in your area?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight :frow

If you scroll down on this page you will get a chart with temperatures & precipitation in Oxford which is not that far away. It's the nearest I can find at the moment, Sorry I made an error over the rosemary remark -- my brain is tired today, I need to sleep! :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dont ever be sorry my brain is always all over the place! ...my largest rosemary that was larger than I am did get damaged by the snow last year but the rest grow like crazy all year!
I think we have warmer summers than you buy about 20 degrees but this year was very hot one and made no sense at all to me!

our summers are in the 70s-80s (but what is "usual" anyway I have yet to find out!)

ok back to planting

(I wish ..work is killing me today :( )

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
20 degrees, HiDelight?!?

Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Looks like 2F to 7F on average June to August and a little less C for Olympia WA ;).

Maybe beautiful downtown Burbank on the beautiful Salish Sea . . . :cool:

. . . my 2

Steve's digits ♪♫

edited to say: Tomorrow, I'm planting bok choy !

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not, but WILL plant cabbage... if and when I can. I need to get it in ASAP.

Why is NO ONE selling seeds for fall?! Not Walmart, Not Kmart, Not the nursery in town, Not Tractor Supply.... does no one sell fall seeds these days!?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi vfem :frow

All the stores here are too busy getting ready for CHRISTMAS...............!!! The charity bookshop I volunteer with got it's delivery of Christmas cards & 2010 diaries last week........................Urgh! It really isn't funny as we have a tiny shop -- it's around 250 years old & finding room to store stuff is hell. I notice a lot of our seed companies here are selling both seeds & plants for autumn sowing/transplanting. So many people here have dug up their flower beds & lawns to grow veg since the recession started. Sales of poly-tunnels & greenhouses have jumped too !!

I have also noticed that a lot of companies have started to sell garden products where-as they used not too! I have managed to pick up some very useful end-of-the-summer bargains from them. I got 4 pop up cloches which will be VERY useful for my winter salads & for next years young plants -- they were less than half price.

:rose Hattie :rose

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first fall garden and I've planted cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and collards. I still have yet to plant seeds; carrots, turnips, radishes, spinach, beets.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted beets, turnips, radish, rutabagas, carrots and beans for the fall.
I will be planting garlic and overwintering onions when the time is right.
All the online stores are pushing the fall seeds right now and there is soooo much to choose from!
I like that the garden won't sit bare all fall, it makes me wistful for spring and makes winter all that much longer, having a fall garden will be nice.

dragonshiner

Sprout
Reaction score
Began sprouting an Avocado seed today! My nieces and nephew are fascinated by the idea of growing a tree indoors, and frankly so am I. We already bonded over making upside down tomato hangers out of recycled bottles this summer. Which is actually working!
Tomorrow, carrots!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray! I got in cabbage and broccoli today and yesterday!!!

Latest posts