What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are waiting for blueberry plants, and strawberry plants.. hope we are not ggetting too late of a start. Also need to take cuttings of old grape vines and get some plants started here.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well between naps and flopping I got all that stuff done on that list! so maybe I have a little superwoman in me Ron after all :)

so planted 3 beds of all kinds of garlic then recieved a bunch of heads from that Agri site that I ordered free stuff from ..they keep sending me stuff ..so now I am going to have a LOT of garlic this year that is for sure!!! This package of garlic has a form to fill out about how it grows and what results ....so I have to have some order to this bed and actually map out what and how I plant it instead of just put it in and forget untill I pull my rainbow of garlic

this bed will be organized! argh I dont organize well :(

it suggests soaking the heads a bit in either bleach water or dish soap and water I have never heard of that but I will try ..it also has very cool info in there about sizes and shapes of garlic and the id's

I feel so a part of agriculture with this ..I bowed out of the free seeds thread because of personal opinions on things like this ..when I got the first seeds I realized this was not a program meant for me as a home gardener ...and I was not entitled to this seed I never lied on my order and said it was for my own use and that I was trying to grow a perpetual garden in my strange micro climiate of the Puget Sound.....but the seed and things just keep coming so I am hoping I can write a decent and helpful paper for them on what and how I grow it and how it turns out

this week I am planting this new wave of garlic (obviously in one or my larger beds ... and going to finish my cold frames.. the hoops are up and hopefully buy doing this the 2 months year everything dies and have of no vegetables will now be full of them!

strange thing happening out there ..one of the grafts on my plum tree is in full bloom! and I have giant green strawberries all over my plants...lots of spring things are making an appearance ...as far as the strawberries ..I wonder if I cover them if they will ripen? probably not

take care and happy gardening ..hang in as long as you can!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight..I bet if you cover those strawberries with floating row covers, they will ripen, they let the right sun rays in, and rain, but the temps will be 10 or more degrees warmer than out of it. Worth a try.. fresh strawberries yummmmm!:weee

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
HiDelight..I bet if you cover those strawberries with floating row covers, they will ripen, they let the right sun rays in, and rain, but the temps will be 10 or more degrees warmer than out of it. Worth a try.. fresh strawberries yummmmm!:weee
I have no idea what a floating row cover is? I would love to try!
I wsa thinking of just putting a hoop and plastic over them

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
4grandbabies said:
I have no idea what a floating row cover is? I would love to try!
I wsa thinking of just putting a hoop and plastic over them
Go to www.GardensAlive.com. then search them on their site, they are awesome, have started gardens early with them in the past.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks 4grandbabies

I wonder if that is what Hattie is talking about when she says she puts fleece on her plants ..

I betcha it is easier than dealing with all this plastic ..however I have already got a huge roll of plastic so I will have to try that ..next year I will book mark this and keep it in mind

imagine picking strawberries in Nov/Dec? how fun would that be?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I wonder if that is what Hattie is talking about when she says she puts fleece on her plants ..
That is such a cute saying! I remember years ago most folks used sheets because they could breath and still let in some light. Especially around succulents!

When I lived in the UK I was shopping for rugs, and I was shocked to see natural rugs of goat skins! That is something you do not see here! I kept several of them for years until they finally met their fates. It was in the UK also when I got my first Flokati rug

flokati_500x500_basket.jpg

Sorry, the term 'Fleece' reminded me of all the wonderful textiles in the UK.

I loved the knitted Black Wool products!

I suspect Fleece is like what we call Felt, and likely comes in a roll I suppose? It would be cheap enough and available to use in the garden.

Now I am dying to know 'Fleece'

Ron :weee

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi there!

Yes that.s the stuff I use. Floating fleece is my friend (& constant companion through fall, winter & spring) -- actually it is never far away even in summer as we gardeners are always trying to grow a new something that needs cosseting.......!!

Over here we can buy two different thicknesses & several widths. I am using up a roll of 2metre wide lighter weight at the moment but it didn't stand up to the tearing winds very well so I think the next roll will be the thicker one. You have to trade off less light getting to the plants against more protection to the plants. It is much easier to use than clear plastic as you can just lay it directly over the plants. I also peg it round my teepees of beans in the spring. I also make protective walls around my raised beds, using posts or canes in the corners. This keeps things a lot cosier & the chickens can't see all the succulent young plants until they are strong enough to survive.

When the fleece gets a bit grubby you can run it through the washing machine.

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
. . . I also make protective walls around my raised beds, using posts or canes in the corners. This keeps things a lot cosier & the chickens can't see all the succulent young plants until they are strong enough to survive. . . . :rose Hattie :rose
Hi there, Hattie :frow!

I've wondered how well "fencing" with material like that would work in the garden. Of course, the amount of difference would partly depend how wide your bed is. Using clear plastic would also make sense but it would have more wind-resistance.

The construction folks use something called a "silt fence" to keep soil and water from moving off a construction site - and invading other property or a ditch or something. Their techniques with black plastic could be copied with clear or with fleece row-covers.

I've set up little plastic tunnels over a bed and then cut U-shaped holes in the plastic. That seems to work fairly well when you can't be around to pull up a corner on a hot day. The cut "U" looks just like that. It will mostly stay closed but, I guess, allow enuf warm air to escape that things growing in the tunnel don't seem to get too hot. How it would work in my windy large veggie garden, I don't know. This tunnel was in a very protected location in my little veggie garden.

Steve

Latest posts