What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
don't worry Bucka spring is almost up there and i'm hoping the rest of your snow and ice will be gone by the end of this week for you.

i got the tiller going yesterday and ran it through a small section of the big garden bed. kept hitting 'boulders' and fighting to get them pulled up. :rant it has to be part of the foundation from the barn i was told had been on that side of the property. while deciding to till the rest of the big bed i noticed there were some garlic plants sprouting that i must have missed pulling up last year. they were sprouting up through the last chicken coop clean out shavings so i figured i would pull and move them. i ended up replanting them in some deep flower pots.

came in the house for a break and ended up getting more seeds started. did some more starting today too. i know i'm a little late getting some of these started but i did peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, kale, collards, and cucumbers.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Garden Today"....was this past weekend. DH tilled the 3 big ones, and the smaller one out front. We then planted corn in the corn patch. The weekend before, I set 23 tomato plants into the tomato patch. We had to put a bird netting hoop house over it this year. The past summer, all we got were leftovers from the cardinals and neighbor chickens. :eek:

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know what you mean Lavender 2. I have a 90 year old father living close to my house. He's in a retirement home, but my schedule is often interrupted too. Fortunately, he is only about 10 minutes away from me. We had to move him out of his house two years ago because he couldn't manage in it any more. Glad your father is doing well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved some lettuce, kale and bok choy into one garden.

This should be the first night without a light frost in quite awhile. It is likely to be back and maybe as soon as Wednesday morning. The Weather Service is holding out some hope that frost may not work its way all the way down to the ground. Anyway, this might be true in the little veggie garden which is well protected.

"Take a frost" is one thing but thriving is something different. Moderation didn't bring things quite far enough. Nevertheless, the plants have to start coming out of the Pampers.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up wood until my fingers were numb, it was 38 out there! My sons dropped 3 trees on Sunday, oh what a mess!, but the trees have needed to be taken down for a while. They saved the 2 sheds, but smashed a few blueberry bushes and part of the raspberry patch. The rhubarb should be OK, once I find it, and hopefully the clematis isn't too beat up from moving the arbor out of the way. The guys said they would be back on the weekend to haul more brush and wood. Big trees are SO much bigger when you start picking them up from the ground!

@kathiesgarden, thank you, I hope your father is doing well, also! :hugs
My parents are about 5 miles away, been there 62 years and we cherish every day they have their health and independence. We will do everything we can to keep them there, but I know that's not always possible. Very hard thing to think about. I don't think Mom is kidding when she says the only way she's leaving that house is 'feet first'.
Dad is doing great and agreed to let my son and the kids help him clean up his yard, since he has a lot of other projects he needs to get to. ;)

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ Lavender, thanks for the good wishes for my father. Mom did go out 'feet first' and after she was gone, Dad didn't manage too well. He misses being in his home sometimes, but has adjusted pretty well. It was very hard to have to move him. It's great that your son and grandchildren are helping him with his yard. That is a very positive thing that they will remember as they grow older. :love

Very glad to hear it's at least above freezing for you! I hope Spring comes soon and your hands don't get numb when you're out in your garden! :frow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does lubing both rototillers and the lawnmower count?

Embarrassed to admit that I ran the mower before the oil change. The lawn was/is a mess. Much of it wasn't tall enough to cut. Lots of twigs and 1or 2 rocks to hit with my freshly sharpened blade. But, that was earlier this week.

Today, there was light rain off and on. The greenhouse furnace shut off once. I got things opened up then, clouds and rain were back 20min later! I got 48 plants moved into 2.5 flats of 18. Carried flats in and out of the shed/hoop house. Still don't feel compelled to leave more tender things in there overnight but that's coming.

Caution to the wind, bought a 1250watt heater and a 12gauge extension cord yesterday. Might not use that heater but if one of the 16gauge cords held up to the demands of the 800watt last year, I've at least taken a safer step with that heater and the big, heavy 12 gauge cord.

Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Didn't get much done today, rain and cold off and on. I checked the greenhouse, everybody in there seems to be doing fine. I've got blooms on some of the calibrachoa, it's really nice to see them again. The snow is still on Mica Peak, so nothing outside without cover yet. (except some green onions, most of which are volunteers.)
Kathie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell us, please, about your onion volunteers! Sets from last year? Did you allow an onion to go to seed and those are germinating, @kathiesgarden . (I've got ornamental onion volunteers. :))

I usually don't direct-sow onion seed these days. I think the last time was for cipolloni onions. I left a few bulbs thru the winter. I can't quite remember how that turned out but they survived and were usable in the spring. Hot, but useable.

Sweet onion seed, sown in August, would not be thought of as volunteers. It has worked and not worked for me. Bolting in the spring was too common with them and I gave up.

Ooorr, are you talking about "walking," Egyptian onions?

Steve, onion guy
edited to add the "@" :)

Last edited:

Latest posts