What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took DH to Madison to see the eye doctor so I didn't get to work in the garden until later in the afternoon. I finally have every raised bed weeded and ready for planting. Tomorrow I'll be weed'n feeding the yard since no rain is predicted until Thursday. Missed out on most of the predicted rain for today. I worked in a light sprinkle just to get finished and never got very wet at all before the sky cleared. Hopefully, I'll get something into the garden after the fertilizer is down.

Pruned the small orchard, row of shrubs, and cleaned out the hosta bed. Tried cleaning the mess under the garden fencing. I am hoping to plant peas along the fence so I need a clean area. DS is looking to fix the leak in my small tiller. That should work to keep the fence clear.

We've had 70's -- even one 80 -- for the past four days so lots has gotten done outside by me. DH doesn't like the wind that's been coming every day with the warmer weather so I've been mostly working alone, but I love it!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, I love it when the boys come to help , but sometimes the end results are painful! Last big tree we took down smashed older sons finger and ripped the corner gutter off Dad's garage. Once the branches are cleared and broken plants trimmed up I hope it all bounces back for you. Sounds cold there. We are getting warmed days finally. (About time!)

I'm glad you have boys that can help with those big projects too, very sorry about your tragedy though. :hugs
It was quite the project. The big maple was actually leaning on my shed, so it was emptied and moved enough to get the tree down. Every drop had to be pretty precise, (two sheds, garage, pool, pond and other trees) - so the only option was my gardens... it could have been worse. My oldest :))) always has his own unique way of accomplishing things :eek: ... I didn't watch. :hide He's a wonderful guy though, we are very grateful to have such great kids!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Light rain for the last 3 days and the next 3 then the next 3 etc. so not much outdoor activities other than proping up the Dogwood branches that are doubled over down almost touching the ground with wet HEAVY BLOOMS. :ep So, I have been up carefully and slowly crawling in the 3' tall attic space ( vaulted ceiling , 3' space then the roof ) rewiring the dining room so that we can have a light over the dining room table and a few extra plugs as the builder forgot to do this during the original construction. :idunno

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@bobm ... eek, that does not sound like fun! We've got some rain coming tomorrow, hoping your forecast is wrong!

Beautiful day yesterday, but too windy to fight cleaning up leaves, so ... I got 3 rose bushes pruned and a big hydrangea cleaned out, hauled more tree brush off the berries and herb garden, (the boys said they cut it in draggable lengths, but maybe if I had an elephant to help) , dug out a bunch of reed canarygrass. :rant I found some daffs ready to bloom, YAY! ... and it had better warm up fast this morning, so I can get out there and forget about the pain from yesterday.. :eek:
SOOO happy to finally have warm weather though!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm , I've got an attic I'm afraid to climb up into. Yeah, I'm afraid the firemen will have to cut a hole thru the ceiling to get me out because they might not be willing to follow me in there!

The weather and forecast aren't inspiring around here either. However, the last time we had all-day rain, it amounted to all of 1/3". I'd imagine that in Bob's location, those numbers would be reversed: Yeah, probably 3/1".

The forecast "discussion" has it that there may be a snow level at 3,500ft dropping all the way down to 2,000ft by tomorrow morning! Well, I live above 2k feet! I'm more concerned about the predicted 34° morning temperature and 30mph wind gusts. Looks like it will be tough to keep the "protected growing," protected!

We have so many onion seedlings to set out! It would be nice if they were already out there. I think.

Maybe it will be best if the tractor guy went home without finishing the garden extension yesterday.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lol, the attic in my cabin is the 6" thickness of the roof joists, (or whatever they are called), and the only thing in there is insulation and I guess some wires.

Well, working on my last bed today. Almost got half of it based. Got the top plastic on 25 feet of the south bed. The other 15 feet of that bed will be for piling soil on from the last half of the last bed while I base and cage it.

Gotsta also spring clean the showers in the main bathouse hopefully tomorrow. Other things besides gardening in life keep me behind schedule on everything.

Gotsta get you all nagging at me sooner next year!

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rain on and off today. Typical Spring weather for us. Gave me an excuse to stay in the greenhouse and finally get the last of the seedlings potted up. The work outside is piling up, but at least the 'little ones' are all tucked in!

I need to get back to slug hunting with my granddaughter. She loves throwing them into the salt bath. (she's 4)

I'm so glad it's Spring. :weee

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digits, you must be higher in elevation than I am. Our temperatures thankfully aren't supposed to drop below 34. I would be most worried about those 30 mph winds, they can do a lot of damage. (don't go to the attic! lol)

@marshallsmyth You are sure working hard. I bet it's looking beautiful.

@lesa Glad the sun is shining! You've been through it this year (ugh)
Kathie

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It rained all day with a couple of minutes long sun breaks yesterday afternoon. After 4 hours of quite a few up and down trips of climbing and crawling in the attic and sweating and more than a few @#%^&* s due to some very questionable / interesting third world construction practices ??? This is the next in a long line of construction issues ( I have remodeled 2 and built 4 of my own homes from the ground up ) ( last year I found out from a prominent local lifelong resident of this town that the developer used ILLEGALS to build the 354 home subdivision in 3 years and that the building inspector was an alcoholic who did drive by inspections [ $$$ too ?] ). I finally had to rip off the dining room sheetrock at the entrance and drill 9 new holes through 2 wall studs and top plate just to run one 11' wire from the light switch to the new ceiling light fixture. It just started to rain again for the rest of the day with a line of new storms to last through this coming Tuesday. A HOT toddy is in order instead of a spot of tea !

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you have boys that can help with those big projects too, very sorry about your tragedy though. :hugs
It was quite the project. The big maple was actually leaning on my shed, so it was emptied and moved enough to get the tree down. Every drop had to be pretty precise, (two sheds, garage, pool, pond and other trees) - so the only option was my gardens... it could have been worse. My oldest :))) always has his own unique way of accomplishing things :eek: ... I didn't watch. :hide He's a wonderful guy though, we are very grateful to have such great kids!
OMG your oldest sounds like mine! It is no wonder I have gray hair! But I would not trade him for anything or anyone. :love

Latest posts