What did YOU do in your garden today :P

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some photos taken today
Beets.JPG

Beets, I haven't thinned them yet but will soon for beet greens.
Carrots.JPG

Carrots, Danvers, Little Fingers, and Kaleidescope

Garlic.JPG

Garlic planted last fall
Lettuce.JPG

Various leaf lettuce with a few radishes in the background in front of the beets. I planted it way too thick but have been eating the thinnings.
Green Peas.JPG

Green peas just starting to bloom. I got a lousy stand with these, horrible germination. I did plant another half row but that was late. I'll see how they do when the heat hits.
Oregano.JPG

Oregano. I put a lot in the dehydrator last night. That's why it is chopped up. It will grow back so I can get another cutting or two.
Potatoes.JPG

Potatoes. I hilled these maybe two days ago. I'll probably only hill them one more time, maybe twice. That's cabbage and broccoli on the left. Some are doing OK but some are doing awful. I'll have enough cabbage and cauliflower but plan to start seeds in about a month and a half for a fall broccoli crop.
Spinach.JPG

Spinach. Some has started to bolt but it's been pretty good. I need to get some of this in the freezer pretty soon. That's kale then chard on the right. That needs thinning but they are looking good.
Bean Sprouts.JPG

Blue Lake Bush Beans. Just starting to come up. Germination rate looks real good. Now I can plan on starting some of BlueJay's beans since I have proof the ground is warm enough for germination.

That's not everything. I'll have more asparagus tonight. Corn just started to peek through today. Chives, sage, and thyme looks good. I have a few tomatoes and peppers transplanted. Haven't lost any of them yet and will put out more. My biggest disappointment so far is the green peas. The germination rate was pretty bad and the ones that are there don't look as good as they should.

Anyway, that's a shot of where I am today. Ahead of some people and behind others.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn, I'm jealous of your space also! lol I know it's a lot of work having big gardens. But I bet walking through your rows is a lot easier than me walking on 4" planks between my beds. I have been known to almost fall off of those things.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser I showed DH your garden pictures and pointed out, where else could some one post pictures of dirt and get so many OOOOH's and AAAAH's over dirt? Isn't it great to have somewhere to go where everybody not only understands your hard work, but congratulates you on a job well done?

@Ridgerunner your garden is awesome. Simply beautiful.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Bay but I did not show the areas where the sweet potatoes and squash will go. Let's just say those areas require more work and it's getting hot out there. Not as hot as you have seen it or as hot as it will be, but darn it, every now and then I break out in a sweat.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, all the work pays off in the end - both with crops and some really nice eye candy.

It got past 85* today (it was below 40* barely a week or two ago). If things look good these next few days I might plant a row or two of okra (Hill Country Red). I tilled over hundreds of sunflower volunteers, if it's warm enough for them it's probably warm enough for okra. I might set out my tomato starts this weekend.

[QUOTE="baymule, post: 179921, member: 2806"@TheSeedObsesser I showed DH your garden pictures and pointed out, where else could some one post pictures of dirt and get so many OOOOH's and AAAAH's over dirt? Isn't it great to have somewhere to go where everybody not only understands your hard work, but congratulates you on a job well done?

@Ridgerunner your garden is awesome. Simply beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Nowhere else but here on TEG! It is great, especially since I have few gardeners in my area to talk to. People here mostly focus on larger livestock like cattle and horses. Alpacas are starting to get some good popularity here.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridge, do you tie the broccoli leaves over the forming heads to keep them from getting sunburn? Or is that something that doesn't have to be done but helps?

I've got both broccoli and cauliflower seeds that I might plant out in the fall. Never tried them before, haven't ever really been that big into cole crops.

Latest posts