What Did You Pick Today? 2014

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red Choi:
DSC00910.JPG

Or, Red Bok Choy. Attempting to westernized the spelling of Asian veggie names is kind of tuff. About the easiest problem is spelling it Choi one place and Choy, elsewhere. If you add to that Pak and Bok . . . even a simple name becomes confusing. I have used the Australian ag agency and the University of Melbourne for sorting things out in English . . . & Latin :rolleyes:.

Anyway, these tender "greens" were almost instantly stir-fried. Oh yeah, I was surprised to discover that 2 of these little Red Choi plants were bolting! Guess it is time they are harvested from the greenhouse.

Not much left in there! Another picking of Choy Sum. I've had a few Maruba Santoh mixed in since there wasn't enuf of that for 2 servings. Maruba Santoh is a name that I know nothing about and I seem to remember trying to discover a meaning a couple of years ago. Oh well . . .

Steve :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think ALL of the broccoli got ready at once. We have been eating lots of broccoli, but just couldn't keep up with it. Broccoli is a winter crop for me, the first hint of heat in the spring and it is off and bolting. I went and picked lots of broccoli, now I am going to blanch, package and freeze. Oh, and what's for supper tonight? Take a guess.........ummmmm......let's see, could it possibly be BROCCOLI??

broccoil harvest.jpg

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That broccoli looks wonderful, Bay. Love roasted broccoli!

Today we harvested asparagus. This is the first year we have harvested any so it's very exciting!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took out a package of that frozen broccoli 3 days ago and made cheesy broccoli and potato soup! It was yummy!

@skeeter9 congrats on the first asparagus harvest! That stuff is addicting!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn if it makes you feel any better, the broccoli is done. As in finished. Pulled up and given to the chickens. First breath of warm air and the yellow flowers bolt to the sky overnight.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrateI picked some baby spinach for stuffing a trout -- last night for dinner. It was from the lettuce and spinach I started in the sun room. :oops: Very tiny (first real) leaves were carefully clipped off and added to the trout stuffing. Of course, I'm walking in the knowledge that they will keep on putting out leaves that will grow even though the first ones were eaten. :fl

I rather thought it might be fun to have my first food from the garden really early. Otherwise, I am patience personified. :old I am NOT like my mother who dug up a whole row of onion sets and a whole row of potato plants to get one meal of baby potatoes and new onions. :hePlease tell me I'm not!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, it doesn't sound like you inherited that trait at all! I mean, what's wrong with stripping tiny leaves off of tiny baby plant just so you can stick them in a fish? It makes total sense to torture them like that! I'm sure they will come out of the shock eventually. Teehee!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it doesn't sound like you inherited that trait at all! I mean, what's wrong with stripping tiny leaves off of tiny baby plant just so you can stick them in a fish? It makes total sense to torture them like that! I'm sure they will come out of the shock eventually. Teehee!
:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit
I spent 55 years trying not to be like my mother.
My spouse :somad was told to let me know if I acted like MOM.
My babies were instructed to tell :rant me if I started acting like her.
Anyway, I didn't destroy the plants -- just picked a few leaves kind'a early.
:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit