What Did You Pick Today? 2014

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked up first one yesterday and about 300 of these babies today. Here are some of the morels.
Morels.JPG

It's that time of year.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A thousand "likes", @Smart Red ! :drool What a nice haul you've got there. I NEED to go check my patch after all of this rain, but have to find someone to keep the kids first. I could take them otherwise if the ticks weren't so bad now.

How are you going to cook yours up?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a family "urban legend" about how I almost died eating morels many years ago. Long story, but I haven't done morels in over 40 years. I may work up the courage to try them again -- or not.

I'm dehydrating the ones that aren't being made for supper tonight. The DIL fries them in butter from what I've heard.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a family "urban legend" about how I almost died eating morels many years ago. Long story, but I haven't done morels in over 40 years. I may work up the courage to try them again -- or not.

I'm dehydrating the ones that aren't being made for supper tonight. The DIL fries them in butter from what I've heard.

They can make you sick to your stomach if they are undercooked. There is also a poisonous false morel that looks similar from the outside, but it is not completely hollow inside, so you can tell for sure by cutting them in half.

They make an awesome mushroom soup too, btw. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can make you sick to your stomach if they are undercooked. There is also a poisonous false morel that looks similar from the outside, but it is not completely hollow inside, so you can tell for sure by cutting them in half.
:)
No, I thought and worried myself sick. The mind can do that -- or mine can. Not really anything to do with the mushrooms themselves. Still, I spent one terrible afternoon when I thought I was dying from a poisonous mushroom until I told DH I needed to go to the hospital and he laughed at me.

The laughing 'cured' me instantly and, of course, I didn't die, but I've never felt like eating morels since.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mmmm :drool DH and DS looked a week ago. Then we had a few warm days followed by some cold and wet. As soon as it warms up they we go out again. Fingers crossed. Those look so good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of the bok choy from the covered beds.

Just in time for the bok choy from the open garden to take its place.

:) There's some nice leaf lettuce in there and what's in the garden doesn't amount to anything yet. Plenty of purple orache to go with the lettuce, tho. Might be tempted to harvest some green shallots . . . and, why not?!

Steve