What Did You Pick Today? 2014

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked my first two heads of lettuce, and 5 pea pods!!!!!!!!:celebrate My first harvest of the year!!:celebrate

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked Lemon Squash #2 and #3, steamed them with butter, salt and pepper. I lifted up the skirts of the potatoes and got 3 small potatoes. I sliced them thin, chopped some onion, chopped a piece of leftover smoked pork and 3 leftover slices of bacon. Cooked it in a spoonfull of duck fat, garlic, salt and pepper. YUMMY! Deviled eggs and strawberries (from the store) for desert.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deviled eggs for desert?

Tell me about lemon squash.

What is this about lifting up skirts? Isn't that something the boys use to do to girls in grade school? ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deviled eggs -- grammatical error on my part. :th But delicious, nonetheless.

Lifting up the skirts is something I coined last year for Marshall Smyth because he wanted to dig potatoes before they were really ready to harvest. :D

Lemon squash got a free seed packet with my order from Baker Creek. What the heck, I planted them and they make lemon sized squash. Cute, vines are covered with little round yellow lemon-looking squash and they taste good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Italian sausage bedded in Purple Orache, with rice ~ lunch today

Still, harvesting the Purple Orache! I'll have it for a full month. The spring-sown spinach will soon be ready for harvest and replace the orache.

DW tried to give me more rice, which was soon purple itself. I resisted. Usually, there is a little bacon in the greens but today, an entire Italian sausage! I did finish the orache in the serving bowl.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I picked 3 lemon squash, 1 eggplant and a handful of chard. Hey @seedcorn !!!!!!! Sending you a smiley face!!! :lol:

Squash smiley face.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious, when u slice the lemon squash, what do they look like inside? Lot of seeds or firm like crooked neck?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well my squash bombed for the year. What you see in the picture above was about it. :he I replanted and have some vines, but the heat is fierce on them, they are planted in a bed against the house. Probably the heat radiating from the brick wall behind them doesn't help either.

Anyway I just picked one golden patty pan squash. one. ONE. I don't know whether to eat it or freeze it so I can take out and play with it periodically.

I picked the rest of my Oaxacan Green Dent corn, not much there either. I hand pollinated what came up and survived thus far. At least I'll have enough for a good corn patch next year. I shucked it and it is spread out to dry.

I picked green beans, the Thai #3 long Asian beans. Got a good mess of them and they are finally starting to make. They were behind the eight ball this year.

Oh, the eggplant in the above picture bombed too. It got blight from raining almost every day and getting steamed on the days that it didn't rain.