What interesting creatures live in your garden?

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sumi, how scary, please keep an eye on your hand for infection. we have been covered with ladybugs for the past few days. they are looking for a warm place to spend the winter and have decided my house may just be the place

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sumi, spider bites can be real bad, better go to the doctor. @goatgurl a bunch of ladybugs showed up at our new house last week when I was painting. While I was delighted to see so many of them, I really didn't want them in the house, so I broomed them off the walls and ceilings (had the door open) swept them into a dust pan and put them back outside.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'd rather have ladybugs that all our spiders and flies!

@goatgurl and @baymule My hand looks fine today (touching wood here!), but I'll keep an eye on it and go to the hospital in the next town if something develops, but it looks like I got away with just a very close shave there.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's right, @baymule. Once as an odd job, DH and his father painted an apartment building inside. The next morning they came back to find unpainted spots on the walls and moving spots racing across the floor -- Cockroaches!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's right, @baymule. Once as an odd job, DH and his father painted an apartment building inside. The next morning they came back to find unpainted spots on the walls and moving spots racing across the floor -- Cockroaches!
I hate cockroaches! Here in the south, we get those big tree roaches. I swear, they can crawl through the smallest crack! When a pipe burst in the ceiling a few years ago, we had to tear out sheetrock and redo everything. I put Borax on the 2x4 bottom plate in all the walls. I might see a big roach occasionally but it is sick and dying!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cockroaches are not a wide-spread problem here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin, but occasionally a tenant will bring them in to one of the apartments. I've gotten used to putting roach killer (mostly borax) down under plywood for flooring, under new carpeting, behind walls and cupboards. Since we seldom have had any problems, I suspect being prepared in this way works well for us.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
about a thousand years ago when i was first married we lived in ohio in an apartment along the river and there were water roaches in the apartment. by day i could keep them at bay but at night i could hear the cat running thru the house and then crunch, crunch, crunch as she caught and ate those huge roaches. didn't take us long to move

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, yes, those sounds that go crunch in the night.

@goatgurl, while we were building our current house, we lived in the basement for a couple years. Begonia, our cat, was an excellent mouser and without all the walls and siding in place there were plenty of mice that found their way into our basement. DD used to complain that Begonia would bring the mice under her bed and crunch away all night.

Good cat, that! She eventually went to live at a dairy farm where she raised many more good mousers.

Latest posts