What interesting creatures live in your garden?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
.... they're not nearly as majestic when there's a dozen or so spending most of the day walking around on the landfill ...
hanghead[1].gif

Still beautiful birds though. Just sort of funny and kinda sad when they're picking trash. Guess it's easier than hunting though.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
guess so cane, the guy who owns the poultry farm had an electrical problem and lost one whole house of birds which numbers in the thousands and the air was thick with eagles and buzzards. made me think about todays society, why work for what you need when someone will hand it to you. like i said, made me sad.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
forgot to mention the fact that my pond has been a little busy the last few days. I've had both an otter and a heron visiting. the otter kind of bothered me, not because it is eating my fish but do they like duck? I'm afraid he will eat baby duck when I'm not looking. the heron is just wading and eating small fish and since i can't see him with a duck in his gullet he isn't a problem to me. not the greatest picture but hey i tried. he was bashful.
IMG_0391.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If u let them a heron will clean out a pond of feeder fish that your larger fish feed on. Thus they will die.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same thing with mine. Maybe if they lose their tail early enough (or are born without it) it changes their center of gravity/balance so much their leg development is affected, and they develop that rabbit like gait.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, someone in the neighborhood had a cat that must've been really bad a catching squirrels. We probably had a dozen 'bunnysquirrels' running up and down the trees.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heron will eat baby ducks just check youtube. One cleaned out my pond of goldfish, some which where almost a foot long. They will eat anything they can catch.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
weird looking squirrel there @Lavender2. makes you wonder just why he's pretending to be a bunny. i have an agreement with the squirrels around here. if they'll stay out of my back yard and away from my bird feeders i'll let them gather and eat all the nuts they find on the other 59 acres. if they don't live up to their end of the bargain then we have a discussion about it. pretty much i always win the agreement, lol
@seedcorn and @Nyboy, the pond is about 100 ft from my back door and emma, the house dog, goes insane when there is anything out there that shouldn't be like the heron. i open the door and out she goes all bark and bravado, scares the heron and he takes off. he will come for 2 or 3 days, she'll raise billy h*ll and he will be gone for several months then he forgets and comes back and we start the whole process over again. and Nyboy the bb duck is actually half grown and would be pretty impossible to swallow now. i have seen them eat bigger fish, frogs, salamanders and snakes so i know that if it will fit they will swallow it. i was lots more concerned about the otter eating him. otters gone now. this was the pond yesterday. ducks think somehow i broke it.
IMG_0454.JPG

Latest posts