What's Doin' Best?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my garden, it must be these:

DSC00982.JPG

There they are in the early morning shade from the wild plum tree -- Brussels Sprouts!

There might be some aphids on them because they like this family so much. It's a low-aphid gardening year so far, however. Flea beetles are tearing up the kohlrabi after working over the radish. I haven't seen any on these plants. They are growing far, far better than the cabbage. The rabbit is back but, he has left them completely damage-free, (except for what that little hailstorm did to them).

I don't think I even like Brussels Sprouts! Leastwise, I've never had them when I thought, "Good Heavens, that is a fine vegetable!" I'm sure of that ... anyway, I'm gonna try to learn to like 'em, looks like.

... Steve
first time Brussels sprouts grower

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sure look happy there Steve. I was told of a different (to me)
preparation method that is said to be tasty even to non Brussels sprouts likers. Looks like you'll have enough to try lots of different ways to prepare them!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The peas are really thriving, they are just about done now, but I have never had my peas grow so tall and produce so much as they have this year. Other than that the pumpkins have gone insane and I will probably spend a few hours on Sunday trimming them as they have taken over everything.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, those are some beautiful plants. I have memories of canned brussel sprouts that tasted like a dog fart smells, that my mother made me eat. :sick She gave me that GOOD FOR YOU line that parents use on their defenseless children. BARF!

So I grew some last year. Fresh has got to taste better, right? Uhhh...... no not really. They are still nasty. They taste slightly better fresh rather than canned, but not by much. I pulled them up and let the chickens enjoy them. Still yukky after all these years......

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried a yummy-looking recipe that was on the cover of a fancy magazine; roasted Brussels sprouts with pecans and grapes and some other stuff. Still didn't taste very good. Looked great, tho!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to say the "black" berry is really thriving, the canes at the bottom have grown a few inches,but the main plant!:ep When I planted it I put a large stick next to it because it kept falling over. When it was first planted it was maybe a third of the way up the stick, today it is less than a quarter of the way from reaching the top.:celebrate

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried a yummy-looking recipe that was on the cover of a fancy magazine; roasted Brussels sprouts with pecans and grapes and some other stuff. Still didn't taste very good. Looked great, tho!

Hmmm... roasted was the "new and improved" way I had heard to prepare them. I was told that they tasted nutty that way and I was guaranteed to like them. So, maybe not, huh?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve, those are some beautiful plants. I have memories of canned brussel sprouts that tasted like a dog fart smells, that my mother made me eat. :sick She gave me that GOOD FOR YOU line that parents use on their defenseless children. BARF!

So I grew some last year. Fresh has got to taste better, right? Uhhh...... no not really. They are still nasty. They taste slightly better fresh rather than canned, but not by much. I pulled them up and let the chickens enjoy them. Still yukky after all these years......

Brussel Sprouts usually taste best after a short period of cold, frosty weather. So maybe try freezing the sprouts right after picking them? Would blanching be an option?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roasted works for me! Roll in oil, cover with seasoning salt, and cook slowly in the oven. Add whatever you want later in the cooking. Yum!

I remember "bite, chew once, swallow, and take a big drink" from my younger days. I couldn't understand how I could like all the family members except sprouts.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that @seedcorn has refused to comment on how much he loves Brussels sprouts, I've got nuthin' positive?? @TheSeedObsesser is gonna have to give me some encouragement!

Peas? I will have peas one of these first days!!

I was just admiring my spud plants but it is very strange this year. It looks like 2 of the varieties are rocketing up! One could be okay and #4 sure didn't take much advantage of the space it had. I've buried the plant markers under the mulch so will have to wait for harvesting to know which is which.

Peas and New Potatoes! Coming soon!

Steve
Edit: Hey, something positive while I was typing!

Latest posts