What's Doin' Best?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything is going gang busters so far! The peas and kale are producing faster than I can keep up. We will be freezing some for winter enjoyment. ;) Our brussel sprouts look about like yours. Tomatoe, potato, green beans, green papers and squash are thriving with little bug damage, yet. :fl

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What's doing the best this year are my peas. They are churning out pods and flowers like there's no tomorrow. They're a little taller than me (6ft 6inch) and pretty wide, it's getting harder and harder to squeeze between the rows. At least if they get too much taller the two rows should be able to support each other.

Coming in second place would have to be strawberry popcorn - it's a dwarf variety (grows up to 4ft, more often 3) but mine are already a little bit above a foot tall (that's taller than the commercial corn right now).

I really like brussel sprouts, we eat them often here. I don't grow them because the nearby country stores and shops sell tons of them (actually good tasting, but not the canned stuff - fresh! canned is gross.). We eat them often enough that I've actually gotten sick of them (good but not that good). We saute them with sunflower oil till the out leaves are brown and crispy.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
When all else fails ....cheese.... :D The kids like anything with cheese on it around here. LOL. I even have got out the Queso (sp?)cheese dip to pour over them. (You know the Frito Lays cheesy dip in the jar on the shelf with their Salsas.)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Everything is going gang busters so far! The peas and kale are producing faster than I can keep up. We will be freezing some for winter enjoyment. ;) Our brussel sprouts look about like yours. Tomatoe, potato, green beans, green papers and squash are thriving with little bug damage, yet. :fl
I should grow green papers. Mom works at the local library (they have classes of kindergartners come in for arts & crafts and reading).

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hesitate to brag on the lack of bad bugs in my garden, because I have a powerful negative mojo working on stuff like that. If I remark that I haven't had a toothache in years (in response to someone else's comment) I will get a toothache the next day. Same with accidents, bad news, cold sores, rat infestations. You get the picture.
With that in mind.....I have had very few bad bugs in the garden this year so far.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, those are some beautiful plants. I have memories of canned brussel sprouts that tasted like a dog fart smells, that my mother made me eat. :sick She gave me that GOOD FOR YOU line that parents use on their defenseless children. BARF!

So I grew some last year. Fresh has got to taste better, right? Uhhh...... no not really. They are still nasty. They taste slightly better fresh rather than canned, but not by much. I pulled them up and let the chickens enjoy them. Still yukky after all these years......
baymule LOL. That had to be AWFUL tasting. I think
my Sister will agree with you. She really dislikes bussels sprouts.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hesitate to brag on the lack of bad bugs in my garden, because I have a powerful negative mojo working on stuff like that. If I remark that I haven't had a toothache in years (in response to someone else's comment) I will get a toothache the next day. Same with accidents, bad news, cold sores, rat infestations. You get the picture.
With that in mind.....I have had very few bad bugs in the garden this year so far.
Plenty of bad bugs here, want some? I can pack and send them out today! ;)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve! I'm so jealous of those brussel sprouts!! My 4 plants i've been babying since January are the same size, i swear, as when i stuck them in the garden! Maybe they dont like transplanting...

My tomatoes are looking amazing!! I hope the ones in pots do okay in the move to the new house...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
got sprouts going this year too and so far they look ok. not as nice as yours Steve!

so far potatoes and garlic are the best looking veggies going this year. though the onions and leeks i missed in the ground last year are doing really well. black raspberries are going to be a great harvest too! the past couple days i've been getting snow peas and radishes, so it's time to make a couple stir fries. :drool

Latest posts