What's With The Bad Manners?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd have a conversation with him. No yelling, just inform him, next time dog won't be coming home. It's his call.
I didnot read read very well. Missed part about your chickens being on his field. For me, changes everything. Keep them home, then I'm back to original thoughts.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, they weren't on his property when the dog got one, but I understand what you are saying, seedcorn and Jared.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the chicken is still alive today, but she sure looks like she feels miserable. I walked around the house this morning and can see four different areas where the dog must have caught the chicken and then lost her grip---just piles of feathers at each location. I didn't hear any of that till the last minute. I didn't have the TV on or anything.
My chickens have a very secure house and yard, but I let them out to roam several hours every day. That may be over. DH would prefer that they stay penned up, but that's because they scratch and make dust baths in inappropriate areas. And the chicken poop on the patio. I don't think he would tolerate an electric netting fence. Lots of anxiety issues right now he can't deal with. I'm bending over backwards to try to accommodate him.
I have some thinking to do. Thanks everyone for your commiserating and suggestions.

It might not be the worst thing for them to stay in their safe pen then, with everything involved. I know I got tired of mine pooing everywhere too. I would guess your neighbor did have a grudge there from the sounds of it.

You could do like Baymule and toss them in a bunch of leaves, grass clippings, weeds and other fun stuff to dig through. Maybe grow a row of kale or broccoli for them (they just love the whole plant, as well as the head.) That would help get you that nice, deep orange yolk color.

I had one hen that was chewed up on her back from one of the beagle incidents. Not too terribly gory, but several deep, long lacerations across the back and also plucked clean by the dog. I had to isolate her in a cage in the garage for about two weeks until her back healed and scabbed over. I gave her antibiotics in her water and blu-kote on her back and she healed right up. She did get egg-bound sometime after that and I think it was due to the trauma. When I put her back in with the others, I used rows of duct tape matching her black feather color to cover and protect the bare skin. It falls off on its own after a few days, then reapply. When it fell off and the feathers were grown back, she was good to go. It's worth a try to see if your hen will pull through. They are surprisingly resilient.

See, even my chickens are duct taped together! Everything around here is. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I put her back in with the others, I used rows of duct tape matching her black feather color to cover and protect the bare skin. It falls off on its own after a few days, then reapply. When it fell off and the feathers were grown back, she was good to go. It's worth a try to see if your hen will pull through. They are surprisingly resilient.

See, even my chickens are duct taped together! Everything around here is. LOL
Got a picture of that?? :lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The electronet poultry fencing is pretty cheap compared to fines, fights with neighbors and loss of stock, and it lasts a long time, works on multiple preds and can even be used for other purposes, like keeping chickens, rabbits, coon and deer out of a garden. It's just a good investment, is easy to put up, move and maintain, lasts a long time and good fences make good neighbors.

And, there's nothing so thrilling to hear than a problem dog screaming because he pushed his muzzle through your fence....call me cruel, call me heartless, but it still gives me a chuckle and does no permanent damage to the dog..and provides much balm to a frustrated and angry chicken owner.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could I add ruthless to your list, Bee? I considered that a compliment when someone said that about me once.

I've also heard that sound with my electric netting. It is a good sound. And once bitten, that dog, fox, or coyote is not likely to return.

The netting doesn't work in snow. You also have to keep it from grounding out when weeds or grass grow up in it or leaves blow up against it, but that can be managed. I have not lost a chicken to a four legged predator since I got my netting. An owl did get one once. I have not had to shoot an innocent dog since either. Innocent because it is not the dog's fault, it's the owners.

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I feel so bad for you @so lucky ! The laws here in AZ is that you can trap it, shoot it, keep it, what ever you want. A care less neighbors dog killed all of mine and my friends chickens. She had some REALLY rare breeds. I agree on the electric netting. Some people can be so careless and heartless when it comes to your private property/animals!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The electronet poultry fencing is pretty cheap compared to fines, fights with neighbors and loss of stock, and it lasts a long time, works on multiple preds and can even be used for other purposes, like keeping chickens, rabbits, coon and deer out of a garden. It's just a good investment, is easy to put up, move and maintain, lasts a long time and good fences make good neighbors.

And, there's nothing so thrilling to hear than a problem dog screaming because he pushed his muzzle through your fence....call me cruel, call me heartless, but it still gives me a chuckle and does no permanent damage to the dog..and provides much balm to a frustrated and angry chicken owner.

I've been really pleased with mine and recommend them to everybody I talk to. I move it about every two months and it is easy for me to set up and move by myself. It gives them some of the benefits of free ranging while still being contained. One 100' fence gives them 625 sq. ft. of space. You do have to keep the fence line clear, which takes a little extra effort. I try to circle it around a bush or tree also to give some cover from hawks. Hawks have never gotten my chickens before, but to be on the safe side, you know. I paid $146 plus tax and then the extra for the fence charger and such (doing double-duty for the electric around the garden too). If you figure $15 times 13 POL pullets...$195 (and I had lost altogether about 25 chickens over the years), the fence has more than paid for itself.

I know So Lucky said electric wasn't an option for her husband, but I did want to mention it in case it would benefit anyone else reading.

Latest posts