What's With The Bad Manners?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. We have the occasional dog or even group of dogs that pass across our land and I don't even give them a second's glance if they are moving along and not circling my coop or flock. I just watch them to see their intent and then watch the next couple of days to see if they come back....those kind of dogs rarely do and they are usually runnin' deer. I don't much care about that, though it used to aggravate my dad pretty much as he was an avid bowhunter.

The only dogs that interest me are those that go straight to the coop and start circling and sniffing, looking and alert towards the flock....those are my trouble in the making dogs. If I can catch them and they have a collar, I'll call their owners and keep them until they come. Give the standard info that I have chickens and he was interested.

If I cannot catch him because he runs at the sight of humans or he runs as soon as he hears the door creak a bit, this is a habitual offender that has been shot at before for the same activity...you can bet on it. I keep an eye out for that dog and I don't mess around. He's dangerous to the flock.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are 2 types of dogs. The well fed pet, that wanders off because of a open door/gate. The starving stray someone dropped off in country a month ago. Urban myth dog will find nice home on farm. i have been asked a few times " are there farms I can give my dog to" I tell them sure you just have to pay farmer board every month. I am not sure why people from the city think people in country would want their unwanted pets.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are 2 types of dogs. The well fed pet, that wanders off because of a open door/gate. The starving stray someone dropped off in country a month ago. Urban myth dog will find nice home on farm. i have been asked a few times " are there farms I can give my dog to" I tell them sure you just have to pay farmer board every month. I am not sure why people from the city think people in country would want their unwanted pets.

I agree...and there's nothing more sad than seeing that dumped off city dog running back and forth on the highway, looking into people's cars when they slow down to drive by him, just looking for his owners. We have a wide place in the road by our mailbox and this seems to be a great place to turn around and make a quick getaway from a dumped animal.

Could even be the same folks who get on FB and talk about how much they love animals and how many they "rescue" from the shelter. The best dog I ever had came to me from someone who frequently shopped the shelters for dogs, got tired of them when they were too much work to care for and they wanted a different one, and then let them run the neighborhood in hopes someone else would take them on or take them back to the shelter. I happened to be a visiting nurse in that home and bought the poor dog for the price of a carton of cigs. Best investment I ever made!

Latest posts