Wide Row Planting

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was ready a book about becoming self-sufficent and wanted to find some info on planting. I has a good about of space but I want to make the best of it. I planted in the same area last year and didnt get to much. I would like to know what veggies I can put together in wide rows?
Any combination will be great the veggies dont matter anything type will be used for something.

Thanks,
RIrs

I am new here so need the info

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! I am not too familiar with the concept of wide row planting... Not sure what the benefit would be. Without a walk way it is difficult to weed and harvest...
Did you add any organic materials to your garden site? Do you have chickens? Are you composting kitchen scraps?
Check out the thread on companion planting and also crop rotation. Lots of good info on there. I would be interested to hear about the wide row idea... Welcome to TEG!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:fro Welcome RIr! Lesa's suggestion for reading the companion planting threads was excellent, there are so many experienced gardeners on this forum!
I personally prefer to plant in 4' wide rows. Some of the advantages are that your soil doesn't get compacted and you can plant more intensively, in a grid , so that your mature veggies leaves shade out a lot of weed competition. 4' wide is pretty workable as you can easily reach across from either side for weeding and harvesting. I try to stay off my beds as much as possible so the soil stays light.
Have fun researching and good luck with your garden. We all learn something new every year. :)

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Can you give me the link to companion planting.. I havent added any organic soil yet, I do have chickens and I am composting the manure. I dont have compost pile dont have enough veggies scraps and other stuff to do one. I plan on getting so soil in soon and tilling it in.
I got the wide row gardening from this book, I talks about putting plants that spread around under corn and tomatoes. I was planning on useing this method this year so I dont have to pick so much weeds.

Thanks

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, RIrs!

Here is some information from Purdue (click) that I've kept for a long time and suggested often. If you go to Table 2, you will find something on spacing for what the authors call "band planting." This could also be called "Wide Row Planting."

At the top of any Easy Garden Forum page you will see the Search. Click that and type "Companion" into the Keyword Search. Then choose to Search in: Topic subject only. You will find 12 threads on companion planting.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The idea of something growing in and around corn is an old one indeed. The Native American's called it the three sister's garden. You plant beans, to climb up the corn and squash to cover the ground. I have not heard of planting anything under tomatoes, though most people find mulching under them, to be a good idea...

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Those post you told me to look at gave me some good info. I have a question about earthworms, I bought some at Walmart yesterday and was wondering if I could put them in my garden soil? If I can how many should I put. Also I have lots of chicken manure and egg shells from them. How can I introduce this to my garden?

I am a new gardener so any info or tips helps me

Thanks

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RIrs said:
Those post you told me to look at gave me some good info. I have a question about earthworms, I bought some at Walmart yesterday and was wondering if I could put them in my garden soil? If I can how many should I put. Also I have lots of chicken manure and egg shells from them. How can I introduce this to my garden?

I am a new gardener so any info or tips helps me

Thanks
The earthworms you buy are red worms and won't live in garden soil. They are adapted to living in almost pure organic matter like compost. You could keep them in a worm box to help break down kitchen scraps into compost. Just google vermiculture to get information on how to keep them. Some people make quite a hobby of farming worms.

RIrs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help...
Really helpful

Bubblingbrooks

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I do wide row planting with most of my root crops. I get more volume out of the garden that way.
Carrots for example this last summer, I did 3 rows per row.
I could easily have done 4 rows though.

Latest posts