Will My Roses Die?!

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
  1. Has anyone ever heard of pruning roses this time of year? I got home and found all the beautiful rosebushes out front cut back by 2/3? Won't this encourage them to send up new growth at exactly the wrong time of year? Aren't you supposed to wait until they go dormant in the fall before pruning them, and then prune them only slightly? Do you think they will survive??? I planted these roses about 10 years ago, and we have not had a freeze of any kind yet here and none is predicted for at least another week, if not longer. It usually does not freeze here until about Halloween. We live in Salt Lake City, Zone 6ish.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The roses are David Austen English varieties, Lavender Simplicities, Mr. Lincoln, Fragrant Cloud, Scent from Above, and Wild Blue Yonder.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The article you linked said roses need the nutrients stored in the branches for nutrition over the winter. I wonder what kind of nutrients they are talking about? And if this can be substituted by feeding the roses lightly?
Also, the article said if the roses are kept covered, shutting out light, it will discourage growth over the brief warm periods during winter.
It's tempting to try covering them with burlap and straw, since they are cut down so low.
Do you have snow cover all winter?
I'm pretty sure I have pruned mine in the fall, and that didn't kill them.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you trim yours before or after the freeze in the fall, so lucky? Thanks for your response.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess I can pray for a mild winter, so lucky?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I don't remember exactly when it was. I have abused them pretty badly over the years. Those David Austin roses are pretty hardy, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. And Mr Lincoln is, too. The rest, I am not familiar with. But like Nyboy implies, it would probably take a lot to do them in.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Lavender Simplicities are Shrub/Hedge roses. Do you think they will die, since they are supposed to be left alone, not deeply pruned?

Latest posts