Would like to buy Genetically Modified Seeds for Vegetables

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Oh sure. Leave me hanging out here all by myself. HURRUMPH!!!

:gig
Ok... just a hint... I agree with whatever Wife says in this thread!

(But I will never give up my bread!!!!!)

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the Zuks person may have fled.....very fast......as in....ZOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!! They didn't know what they were dealing with..... I wouldn't have anything GMO...Monsanto related...even if it were given to me..... I have enjoyed this thread....I needed this tonight....Thanks:lol:

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Oh sure. Leave me hanging out here all by myself. HURRUMPH!!!

:gig
I'm with you! I won't knowingly give any of my money to Monsanto or plant any GM seeds.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not to be any way, but did you do ANY research before posting on this board? Most of us are the "Heirloom" type.

I personally will never knowingly by GMO ANYTHING!!!!

Please do your research before you jump on that band wagon.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd personally like to still know why he thinks that GMO is the way to go.. and Yes, he is probably the ONLY GMO fan on this board..

Perhaps a nice rational dialog is in order on why GMO for him with us offering non-GMO alternatives which work equally well.. However, I think you all are correct and we've scared him away..

zuks77

Sprout
Reaction score
Appreciate your replies! :)

Basically GMOs can be experimented in Eastern Europe, which is also a part in European Union, I think with rising prices for oil + other factors such as bad weather, GMOs that are resistant to tough conditions will be a future way of agriculture.

The problem that I have experienced is that over last couple of years my crops are getting smaller, takes much more energy + resources to grow same quality & quantity vegetables and little changes in weather (and over past 5 years the weather has become way too unpredictable & extreme in some cases) can easily affect and devastate seeds that are planted in open fields vs closed facilities that provide good shield.

All I want right now is to find the right seed, "magic" seed that's going to give me a bigger, more resistant and tasty vegetable for the same $$$ resources and time I invest in growing. That's where the idea of GMO came to my mind, why not try, why not see what's it's going to give me? At least I can isolate it, plant it on small portion and test, grow then taste myself, consume and compare with naturally grown.

Do you know of any other "magic" seeds that will give me bigger, jucier and tasting vegetables? (without adding chemicals, etc - I don't use and discourage everyone from using any chemicals to grow bigger crops...)

Thank you!

Any ideas, web sites (to buy seeds), suggestions very very welcome!

God bless you all!

P.S. Any info on this -> Big Mama Hybrid tomato... what's like growing this? where can I get em? how does it taste? anything similar to suggest?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Again, I think you are confused... MAGIC!? seriously?!

Are you looking for hyrid or GMO? If you buy GMO you are going right to the cash cow and asking to pay a LOT of money to get your hand in the bucket. Then you never get to change your mind and go back.

You are better suited to build large outdoor green houses and invest in a longer future then take the easy road out because some idiot who works for the industry and makes a PROFIT by selling you on something... by only telling you the good stuff... said so.

There are plenty of reasons NOT to use it! In the future when you are spraying every kind herbicide, pesticide and GMO seed you can... tripling your up front cost every year... just to find out your weeds become resisitant and you have to deal w/ the continuing mutating bugs to boot... you'll be paying even more the next year to try the newest earth killing killer chem mix!

Go google super weeds! I'm not making this junk up! I live in tobacco ville NC, and they've been spraying and spraying for years... now we have mutated resistant weeds that are bigger and nastier then ever. With the cost of tobacco going down, and the incentives to grow something else... the farmer who can't fight these monster weeds and bugs anymore are now off trying to grow something else, but the soil needs to heal first.

Its such a scam! They're testing in Europe & India & other countries because they can no longer do it here! Too many idiots already bought into the dream of more and bigger crops! Now corn had to be planted on every spare corner of a farm, and that's just so the farmers can break even with costs. Then they have to plant even MORE the next year because they grew too much and forced the prices down to where they couldn't profit.

Rationalize people!!!!!!!!!

Grow Quality over Quanity and when other farms are destorying their land maybe you'll have something to show for yours in 10 years!

There.... I ranted... you pushed me.... Wife, Rusty, Seed.... you knew it was coming!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I for one am glad you did, V.

I was just about to tell Zuks of a source for GMO . . . just to move things along. Now, looking at the larger picture, I don't think that it would be helpful. Certainly, it would "go against the grain" here at The Easy Garden.

I also think you would be better advised to develop your cultural practices, Zuks, so that non-biologically engineered crops are more profitable for your market. Soybeans, field corn, and cotton are now predominantly GMO crops in the US. Alfalfa seems to be moving that way.

Tomatoes and cucumbers?? I believe that Seedcorn is correct in saying that "I don't know that there are any in those crops. Hybrids yes, GMO's , don't think so." I don't know where you can find GMO tomatoes and cukes.

The domination of some very large seed companies enter into the GMO picture. There is rightfully (in my opinion) resistance to what have become near monopolies.

Steve