Your Weather 2023

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, the thermometer went from 37°f (3°C) at 5:30 AM to 79°f (26°C) at 3:30PM. It wasn't quite as cold nor as warm, today.

STILL, there's been no first frost ... ... The forecast suggests mid-week.

We MAY have some rain by Sunday but it has come down to me "believing it when I see it." Ran the sprinkler in the yard a little bit but I had brought in the hoses and sprinklers from the big veggie garden and stacked them under the deck. Sheets are out on the line, nice & dry. With 42 degrees fahrenheit differences in morning and night and 12/100th of an inch of rain over the last 3 weeks, it continues to be good weather to hang clothes out on the line on laundry days ...

zcamel.jpg
;) Steve

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pouring rain today, just like most other days this summer and fall so far. No frost predicted here yet, but it won't be far off. If it ever stops raining, I need to empty a few flowerpots and bring in some garden decorations for the winter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I kinda missed the official news for the area.

That high of 79°f (26°C) on Thursday was a little warmer than the day before but Wednesday was a record high for the nearby station. That was from nearly 150 years of record-keeping. The Thursday temperature was the highest in 25 years at the closest station to home and garden.

It is sprinkling right now with the cool down but nearly all the actual rain is sliding east right along the US-Canadian border. The Weather Service is reporting their uncertainty regarding this week. Looks like it could do most anything from more dry weather with record highs to rain, freezing and, even, snow. The storm path out of the northern Pacific as it swirls inland will make all the difference.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We missed the frost last night, one more chance tonight. 39F now... but clouds rolling in should stop the temperature from dropping much further. I dug all of the lemon grass today anyway, so I can get some dehydrated.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Weather Service is making decisions and it looks to be that @Alasgun is sending some of that cold south.

What a change they are predicting. From near 80°f (26°C) record highs to 20°f (-7°C) from one Thursday to the next! How far south snow will occur may still be an open question but it looks to be coming in the few short days before that level of  cold. Since rain may accompany and there may be little of either, roads at this elevation might be okay. Not so, the mountain passes — if you are planning a trip from across the northern tier of states, better take a route through Oregon rather than Washington State. British Columbia, you may be out of luck for a pleasant and scenic drive.

I had a notion that something like this but  milder would occur last week. This looks to be a final more comfortable day so the still-living marigolds and zinnias had better be cut down and used for insulation over the dahlia roots. In all the 30 years that I have had them, I don't remember a single time that the roots have been dug before the tops of the plants had been damaged by frost. It should be fine since soil temperature must be at near Summer levels.

Some plants will be slammed by this and it won't just be the annuals. If the neighbors haven't had their automatic sprinkler systems blown out ... I have some simple valves to turn but had better check on the irrigation district's draining of the above ground pipes at the distant garden.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our October is pretty warm, generally speaking.
There will be a lot of rain, but so far no frost until the first week of November. I have kicked out some plants to outdoor area again. They can stay outside for another two weeks.
1698063063867.png

Latest posts