Your Weather 2023

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Temperature is fine, but the rain drives us crazy....
1698417797117.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
rains again and again yesterday and last night. it will be cold and clear most of this week but i don't know how well any thing is going to dry out. it's pretty much one day at a time here now. a few chances of snow and rains but just maybe by the weekend i can get something done outside.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got enuf snow to cover ground. Lo in the 20’s.
Here too. As expected, with the freeze 3 weeks late, the temperature finally plummeted... lows 20's, with wind. Since tents & my unheated patio are not wind proof, I had to bring in all of the peppers I had ripening there. Also the lemon grass, and the few soybeans that were still out there.

I never thought I would ever be happy to see the garden dead; but all of the leaves are dropping, and the garden is STILL too muddy to get in to pull everything down. Chances are this will be one of the times I don't turn under leaves & debris until Spring.

Way behind on garlic planting too; I'm busting open bulbs for the next few days. It looks like there is a dry spell in the forecast, so I hope to plant Friday or Saturday. LOTS of rain next week.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m ready for the 2023 gardening season to be over. We got a decent amount of food from it but very little okra, peppers I bought were misidentified and pumpkins went crazy and over took 1/2 of garden.

Will plant a garden next year but new owners will get to harvest a lot of the results. Maybe it will make it sell better.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a heavy frost on the ground now that is going to burn off in this sun and breeze. we'll be dry enough i hope this week so that i can get something done outside. not today. it is wet and muddy and having a frozen layer hiding under the surface can make things even more treacherous - i've almost wiped out a few times over the years from this sort of thing. not worth the risk... i spend way too much time scraping mud off shoes and garden implements instead of accomplishing anything. so today i admire it from a distance and shell beans. :) (and watch the birdies :) )...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we have a heavy frost on the ground now that is going to burn off in this sun and breeze. we'll be dry enough i hope this week so that i can get something done outside. not today. it is wet and muddy and having a frozen layer hiding under the surface can make things even more treacherous - i've almost wiped out a few times over the years from this sort of thing. not worth the risk... i spend way too much time scraping mud off shoes and garden implements instead of accomplishing anything. so today i admire it from a distance and shell beans. :) (and watch the birdies :) )...
I can relate. I am ready to be done with garden tasks and still have some things to do, but right now the ground is covered with a mix of frost and snow from early this morning.

Most hazardous conditions here for foot travel is the thick carpeting of fallen pine needles up in the woods where I walk my dog. I need to go up there with a leaf rake and clear off the pathway so I can see the treacherous tree roots beneath.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had rain, right near a half inch yesterday. I think that a lot of it was during an hour drive from home, mid-afternoon. Fortunately, the hour return after sunset was rain free.

Can you tell that I am not accustomed to driving in the rain? :) Finishing the final 25%of the Fall prep in the big veggie garden may be a mess. I pointed out to DW after the last foray out there that my pants were bespattered with decaying plants not mud. If I can get out there for the tilling later this week — it may be a combination.

No frost since 1 November and that may continue with some more rain tonight and tomorrow. Fairly clear skies at sunrise right now. Of course, the sun will be skipping just above the southern horizon when it does show up and that won't be real soon with mountains to the east. Fortunately, we aren't completely set in to a location where there may be little sunlight in these mountain valleys 🌞.

I measured the shadow of a six foot object recently. It was high noon and that shadow was 10' 10".

Steve

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About 3" of rain fell over the last ten days, with a lot more in the forecast for later this week. Like many of you I am less eager to be out in the garden now that things are wet and mucky; I think I am becoming a fair weather gardener. The temperatures are mild though, both day and night. If sunshine arrives in the coming days I will try to get some garlic planted.

Latest posts