$0.50 plant from Lowes

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Shame on me...I went to get potting soil for my turnips and wound up looking at the clearance rack. I figure since it's already dying, I can't blame myself for it dying on me.

BUT, there was no tag on this pretty thing. It was $0.50 cents...dried out and not in a pot.

Any ideas?
DSCF1578.jpg

DSCF1577.jpg

The underside is really a shimmery purple. What do the curled up leaves mean? Cold damage? Lack of water?

I did let it soak in a container of lukewarm water before putting it in a pot. (Did I kill it already by doing that?) Should I go ahead and fertilize or will the bedding/potting soil mix be fine for now? How much sun does it need? Will afternoon sunlight through the window be fine?

I also picked up this pretty thing, which is in way better shape:
DSCF1579.jpg

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The top plant is a type of prayer plant Marantha sp. and the second one is a Spathiphyllum.

The prayer plant looks like it was dried out for a long time and it needs more consistent moisture to recover from neglect.

Both plants like moist conditions in order to thrive.

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do I need to keep the prayer plant in water instead of the pot to keep it alive or at least to regain a bit of footing?

Thanks for your help!!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OMG!!!!

I walked in from working with Max and almost all of the leaves are flattening out!

That happened fast!

Is it true that prayer plants will close up at night and open up during the day?

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not sure about that, but another thing that will perk up both plants is morning and evening misting in order to increase humidity, which both plants love!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not that I'm questioning you, but is there a possibility it could be a type of Calathea???

I just can't find any of the Prayer Plants that have the maroon underside with the same pattern on top as the plant I have.

If it is a prayer plant though...awesomeness!!!

I've misted it for tonight and plan to mist it tomorrow. It says it needs indirect sunlight, so I'm just going to keep it in the windowsill which is partly shaded by outdoor plants.

Do you think that would work?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking prayer plant, too- but I think you are right on the calathea. Can you show us a pic, now that the leaves aren't rolled up? The pattern on the top of the leaf looks quite different between the two...
I have had prayer plants with a maroon underside to the leaves. I think your indirect sunlight window should be perfect. It is a pretty forgiving plant, I think you will succeed in bringing it right back to life! What's not to enjoy about a 50 cent plant!!!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know!! I felt so bad about leaving it there...I just had to go back and get it. I LOVE purple, so it was right up my alley!

Here's some shots from just a few minutes ago:
DSCF1581.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

Latest posts