10 Fast-Growing Fruit Trees: A Bounty in No Time

TEG Project Manager

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When it comes to growing fruit trees, many gardeners find themselves eagerly waiting for the day when their trees bear delicious fruits. However, the long wait can often be a test of patience. Fortunately, there are fruit trees that offer a quicker harvest, allowing you to enjoy the fruits of your labor sooner.

In this article, we will explore ten fast-growing fruit trees that not only provide swift results but also offer a delightful abundance of fresh produce. Let's dive in and discover these gems of the garden!

10 Fast-Growing Fruit Trees​

Below are 10 remarkable trees that can provide you with delicious fruits within just a few short years:

1. Apple Trees (Malus domestica)​

Apple Tree

Apple trees are a classic favorite among fruit enthusiasts. While most apple varieties take a few years to bear fruit, some early-blooming cultivars, such as 'Red Delicious' and 'Golden Delicious,' can produce apples within two to three years. These trees thrive in moderate climates and require well-drained soil and full sun exposure.

2. Peach Trees (Prunus persica)​

Peach trees are renowned for their succulent, juicy fruits and beautiful blossoms. Certain peach varieties, like 'Early Elberta' and 'Redhaven,' have a shorter maturity period and can bear fruit within two to three years. These trees prefer warm climates and fertile, loamy soil with good drainage.

3. Cherry Trees (Prunus avium)​

Cherry trees not only add beauty to your landscape but also offer delectable fruits. Some cherry cultivars, such as 'Stella' and 'Lapins,' are known for their fast growth and early fruiting, typically within three to four years. These trees thrive in regions with cold winters and moderate summers.

4. Apricot Trees (Prunus armeniaca)​

Apricot Tree

If you're looking for a fruit tree that yields an early harvest, apricot trees are an excellent choice. Varieties like 'Goldcot' and 'Moorpark' can produce apricots within two to three years. These trees prefer well-drained soil and full sun exposure.

5. Plum Trees (Prunus spp.)​

Plum trees are versatile fruit trees that offer a variety of flavors and colors. Some plum cultivars, such as 'Santa Rosa' and 'Methley,' exhibit rapid growth and can bear fruit within three to four years. These trees thrive in temperate climates and require well-drained soil.

6. Fig Trees (Ficus carica)​

Fig trees are known for their unique, sweet fruits and decorative foliage. Depending on the variety, fig trees can produce a harvest within two to three years. These trees prefer warm climates and well-drained soil, thriving in both gardens and containers.

7. Persimmon Trees (Diospyros kaki)​

Persimmon Tree

Persimmon trees are admired for their vibrant fruits and ornamental value. Some persimmon varieties, such as 'Fuyu' and 'Jiro,' can produce fruit within three to four years. These trees prefer full sun exposure and well-drained soil.

8. Citrus Trees (Citrus spp.)​

Citrus trees, including oranges, lemons, and grapefruits, are favored for their refreshing fruits. While most citrus trees take a few years to bear fruit, certain varieties like 'Satsuma' mandarin and 'Ponderosa' lemon can offer an early harvest within two to three years. These trees thrive in warm climates and require well-drained soil.

9. Pawpaw Trees (Asimina triloba)​

Pawpaw trees are native to North America and produce custard-like fruits with a tropical flavor. Depending on the growing conditions, pawpaw trees can start bearing fruit within three to four years. These trees prefer moist, fertile soil and partial shade.

10. Mulberry Trees (Morus spp.)​

Mulberry Trees

Mulberry trees are fast-growing and provide both tasty fruits and shade. Some mulberry varieties, such as 'Pakistan' and 'Dwarf Everbearing,' can produce fruits within two to three years. These trees thrive in various climates and prefer well-drained soil.

Conclusion​

If you're eager to enjoy the fruits of your labor sooner rather than later, fast-growing fruit trees offer an excellent solution. The ten fruit tree varieties mentioned above provide a quicker path to a bountiful harvest, allowing you to relish the joy of homegrown fruits in a shorter time frame.

Remember to choose the appropriate tree for your climate and provide the necessary care, including proper soil conditions and adequate sunlight. With a little patience and nurturing, you'll be rewarded with a flourishing orchard that brings you delicious, homegrown fruits in no time. So, get your gardening gloves on and embark on the journey to a quick and fruitful harvest!

Do you have any of these trees on your homestead? Share your experiences below.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted seven out of the mentioned ten after we bought the house in 2018. Fig trees didn't do well, and I gave up on another try. We didn't have PawPaw (it might be too cold for them) and Apricot (no special love for the fruits), either.

The rest seven are doing well and growing stably. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Phaedra i'm surprised about you not liking apricots. i think they're a more hardy tree than peaches.

almost all the trees listed are for 'well drained soil" which is not what we have and also i do not have the space here on this side of the large drainage ditch.

at one time i wanted to put fruit trees on the other side of the ditch as there is room back there but it would require fences and it's not easy access. :(

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Phaedra i'm surprised about you not liking apricots. i think they're a more hardy tree than peaches.

almost all the trees listed are for 'well drained soil" which is not what we have and also i do not have the space here on this side of the large drainage ditch.

at one time i wanted to put fruit trees on the other side of the ditch as there is room back there but it would require fences and it's not easy access. :(
Yes, I didn't know peach trees need a lot of attention (and have a comparatively short life span) when I bought them. They didn't do well till now, and I am considering removing them.

Compared with apricots, I am more interested in Mirabelle plum. I also didn't know why. :lol:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't know peach trees need a lot of attention (and have a comparatively short life span) when I bought them. They didn't do well till now, and I am considering removing them.

Compared with apricots, I am more interested in Mirabelle plum. I also didn't know why. :lol:
I'm finding peach trees to be the most challenging of all the stone fruits, I've planted.

They do require a lot of attention with regards to care and they don't react very quickly to remedies. I kind of equate them to a young children. Even though I've planted resistant varieties It seems like they got to catch everything before they build up immunity. And as they grow they have to be trained via pruning at the right time in late winter early spring to produce fruit. It seems counter intuitive to prune fruit budding branches before they bud but that's what is required.

A strictly adhered to spray schedule is a must, regular watering and fertilization is required. If you want peach trees to live long, thrive and produce fruit. I learned the hard way to stop fertilization by mid July so the new tips will have sufficient time to harden before winter freeze. I had nice new growth that died because I fertilized to late in the summer ๐Ÿ™„.

They are also magnets for many fungal infections and pests. Many of which will kill the tree or at the very least stunt and weaken it. Both must be kept under control throughout the entire year, including after leaf fall in late fall or early winter, also again at bud burst, pre pink, petal fall, shuck split and regularly throughout the growing season.

Also young peach trees are very sensitive to soil PH. I planted a row in soil with a PH of 6.0 to 6.2, they struggled. I raised the soil PH to 6.5 ~ 7.0 with lime around the feeder roots and they are doing much better. So early this winter I'll lime more in-between rows and around the trees.

Also rabbits absolutely just adore dining on the bark of young peach trees, expecially over winter. Deer also delight on feasting on new growth tips. So trunk guards for rabbits are a must along with sort of fencing or cage around the tree prevent deer from browsing. Did I mention racoons? Yea they will break the branches bypassing many peaches to get to that "one special" peach on the end of a limb.

At least where I live... I can comfortable say: A peach tree planted and left unattended, will not do well at all and live a very short life. even if it will make it one year. Peach is not a fruit tree I would recommend for a beginner, not where I live anyways.

But now you may know a little of why peaches are so expensive to purchase in stores. Even though still I persist... attempting to grow peaches, simply because I am not one to give up easily and I do like peaches.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm finding peach trees to be the most challenging of all the stone fruits, I've planted.

They do require a lot of attention with regards to care and they don't react very quickly to remedies. I kind of equate them to a young children. Even though I've planted resistant varieties It seems like they got to catch everything before they build up immunity. And as they grow they have to be trained via pruning at the right time in late winter early spring to produce fruit. It seems counter intuitive to prune fruit budding branches before they bud but that's what is required.

A strictly adhered to spray schedule is a must, regular watering and fertilization is required. If you want peach trees to live long, thrive and produce fruit. I learned the hard way to stop fertilization by mid July so the new tips will have sufficient time to harden before winter freeze. I had nice new growth that died because I fertilized to late in the summer ๐Ÿ™„.

They are also magnets for many fungal infections and pests. Many of which will kill the tree or at the very least stunt and weaken it. Both must be kept under control throughout the entire year, including after leaf fall in late fall or early winter, also again at bud burst, pre pink, petal fall, shuck split and regularly throughout the growing season.

Also young peach trees are very sensitive to soil PH. I planted a row in soil with a PH of 6.0 to 6.2, they struggled. I raised the soil PH to 6.5 ~ 7.0 with lime around the feeder roots and they are doing much better. So early this winter I'll lime more in-between rows and around the trees.

Also rabbits absolutely just adore dining on the bark of young peach trees, expecially over winter. Deer also delight on feasting on new growth tips. So trunk guards for rabbits are a must along with sort of fencing or cage around the tree prevent deer from browsing. Did I mention racoons? Yea they will break the branches bypassing many peaches to get to that "one special" peach on the end of a limb.

At least where I live... I can comfortable say: A peach tree planted and left unattended, will not do well at all and live a very short life. even if it will make it one year. Peach is not a fruit tree I would recommend for a beginner, not where I live anyways.

But now you may know a little of why peaches are so expensive to purchase in stores. Even though still I persist... attempting to grow peaches, simply because I am not one to give up easily and I do like peaches.

Thanks for the information and experiences - your sharing is great!

I don't like to give up and I like peaches, too. However, there are simply just too many other interesting things to try, and they are more responding to the efforts and resources.

I will grow some supportive trees first before getting the next new fruit trees.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the information and experiences - your sharing is great!

I don't like to give up and I like peaches, too. However, there are simply just too many other interesting things to try, and they are more responding to the efforts and resources.

I will grow some supportive trees first before getting the next new fruit trees.
Like most everything location location location. Your mileage may vary ๐Ÿ˜ I'm sure peaches grow well for others in different parts of the country or world even but not so much in my back yard.

Now apples and pears they do great here, I got my first apples from two year old trees. Most pears are bi-annuals so fruit load every other year, with minimal fruit during the "off" years. This year is pear year for us and we have a nice pear load to pick when they get ripe ๐Ÿ˜‹

I started reading up on bush or hedge cherry and appricot last night. Seems to be something I would like to try. Expecially if I could get them up by the house where wildlife won't venture. I don't think I would plant them on the outside of the cattle fence because it would just be asking for trouble. Not only with wildlife but cattle do like cherry leaves and new growth stems.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This thread is an enabler ๐Ÿ˜‚ I just ordered more fruit trees for fall delivery and planting. 2 each 3 to 4 foot whips. Chojuro Pear, Ambrosia Pear, Honeysweet Pear, Elberta Peach, Golden Jubilee Peach, Sam Houston Peach, Burbank Plum, Alderman Plum.

I've tasted all three of the pear varieties. Chojuro has a unique sweet rum taste, ambrosia and honeysweet are outstandingly flavored all purpose pears when ripe.

As for the others I'm starting to wonder if one can have too many fruit trees? I guess when I have no more room to plant them, that will be enough. I still have a ways to go before that happens.

Blowerat

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Hey there! ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŽ Totally feeling the impatience for that fruit payoff. ๐Ÿ˜… I've got a couple of Apple and Cherry trees on my tiny patch, and the wait is real. How about you? Any success stories or tips to share? ๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿค”

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey there! ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŽ Totally feeling the impatience for that fruit payoff. ๐Ÿ˜… I've got a couple of Apple and Cherry trees on my tiny patch, and the wait is real. How about you? Any success stories or tips to share? ๐ŸŒฑ๐Ÿค”

Pears were outstanding and late season peaches did well.

Tip for you. If you purchase nusery trees they're generally two plus years old ;)
Screenshot_20231206_200808_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ โœ๏ธ

Last edited:

Latest posts