10 Fast-Growing Fruit Trees: A Bounty in No Time

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m finally getting to the stage where I want to plant fruit trees. I will be planting them in the fields so the sheep can eat the fallen fruit. That leaves stone fruits out as the leaves, when wilted can be toxic. Although the sheep loved snacking on the peach leaves on the farm in Lindale and suffered no ill effects. LOL

I can pick and enjoy what I want and let the rest fall to the ground. Free forage for the sheep. I’m going to cage the trees to keep the sheep from destroying the trees. They will use the cage wire to stand on so they can reach higher, so cages will have to be some distance from each tree. When mature, sheep and goats will keep trees trimmed to stand on their back legs height. LOL I don’t have goats, but people who do know what I’m talking about.

I’m thinking persimmons, the large varieties. I have a few wild American persimmons and the sheep absolutely love them.

Also on the list is white Mulberry trees. They make a nice shade tree and the leaves are good forage. In the fall when leaves fall, the sheep will gobble them right up. White mulberries are not as messy as the black mulberries. Birds eat the mulberries and poop all over the place, splattering purple poop bombs where you don’t want them. At least white mulberry poop bombs aren’t as noticeable. LOL

I also want apple trees. I love apples in all their forms, who doesn’t love apple pie? They also will grow into nice shade trees and bear lots of fruit.

I’ve read about PawPaws. Never seen one. Never tasted one, but I want to. So add them to the list.

My plans are to plant fruit bearing trees out in the fields where they can offer shade, fallen fruit and even the fallen leaves in autumn.

For watering, here’s a neat trick, take a 5 gallon bucket and drill two 3/8” holes in it. Place a brick in the bottom to help keep it from blowing away when empty. Fill with water. It will slowly seep out instead of spreading out and running off. Then you know your tree is well watered.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m finally getting to the stage where I want to plant fruit trees. I will be planting them in the fields so the sheep can eat the fallen fruit. That leaves stone fruits out as the leaves, when wilted can be toxic. Although the sheep loved snacking on the peach leaves on the farm in Lindale and suffered no ill effects. LOL

I can pick and enjoy what I want and let the rest fall to the ground. Free forage for the sheep. I’m going to cage the trees to keep the sheep from destroying the trees. They will use the cage wire to stand on so they can reach higher, so cages will have to be some distance from each tree. When mature, sheep and goats will keep trees trimmed to stand on their back legs height. LOL I don’t have goats, but people who do know what I’m talking about.

I’m thinking persimmons, the large varieties. I have a few wild American persimmons and the sheep absolutely love them.

Also on the list is white Mulberry trees. They make a nice shade tree and the leaves are good forage. In the fall when leaves fall, the sheep will gobble them right up. White mulberries are not as messy as the black mulberries. Birds eat the mulberries and poop all over the place, splattering purple poop bombs where you don’t want them. At least white mulberry poop bombs aren’t as noticeable. LOL

I also want apple trees. I love apples in all their forms, who doesn’t love apple pie? They also will grow into nice shade trees and bear lots of fruit.

I’ve read about PawPaws. Never seen one. Never tasted one, but I want to. So add them to the list.

My plans are to plant fruit bearing trees out in the fields where they can offer shade, fallen fruit and even the fallen leaves in autumn.

For watering, here’s a neat trick, take a 5 gallon bucket and drill two 3/8” holes in it. Place a brick in the bottom to help keep it from blowing away when empty. Fill with water. It will slowly seep out instead of spreading out and running off. Then you know your tree is well watered.

Just a few suggestions...

When selecting fruit tree varieties be sure check for toxicity. Many are toxic like Malus x Moerlandsii 'Profusion' (Crabapple) for example. Profusion is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. I wouldn't think it would be good for chewing critters like cows, goats & sheep either. If you need help let me know and I can look them up for you.

You may want to consider pears also, our farm critters love them.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Latest posts