$100 worth of plants for $20? Gurney's and Henry Fields

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, so I got the emails that Gurney's and Henry Fields were both closing out for the season, and I could get a grab bag of plants worth $100 for 20 bucks. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong, so I ordered one grab bag. A few days later, the deal was $200 of plants for $20, so I did that, too.

Has anyone gotten these grab bags in the past? Did I spend over $50 (inc shipping) for a bunch of dead stuff? Just looking for some information and reassurance here. Whatever comes, if it's alive, I have a place for it.

Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree- you can't go to far wrong!! I did the bulbs once- and many of them survived. Make a note where you plant things...I now have a bunch of bulbs that I have forgotten the names of!! Enjoy your surprise packages!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be prepared to baby any plants you get through this first summer, perhaps potting them in a shady spot and keeping them well watered.

I've been reasonably happy with Gurney's (despite killing everything I bought last year by planting it out in the yard and not watering it enough, see above!)

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

-Wendy

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just opened the box from Gurneys, and I am very pleased with what I got! The ad stated "$100 worth of plants for $20". In tallying up the value, it looks like they were generous with me. The value is about $110. More importantly, it looks like somebody actually read what I wrote in the comments field, as I said I'd be very happy if my grab bag included any shrubs or trees, and I got 3 nice shrubs in the batch. Everything looks healthy.

Here's the haul....

100 field grade glad bulbs
24 winter hard glad bulbs
2 calyanthus sweet shrub, both about 2 feet tall
2 echinacea purpurea, 10" tall
2 alocasia High Color, I had to look these up, they're variegated elephant ears, about 2'
1 buddlea Pink Delight, about 18"

The Henry Fields package just shipped a couple days ago, and I'm curious as to what it could hold. The ad said I would be receiving plants, but the box only weights 2 pounds, as opposed to the one I just got that weighed 9 pounds. Maybe it's a couple of rare and gorgeous peonies? Stay tuned....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds great! You did good! Can't wait to hear how they do after you get them in the ground! Enjoy!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's so exciting! I'm sad I missed out on that deal... I really should have gone for it too. So glad it worked out for you! :)

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ahhhh, this was a good experience! Today I got the Henry Field's, "$200 for $20" order, and it is great! I was concerned because the website said the box weighed 2 pounds, but I got 2 boxes, a big one and a 2 pound one.

Today's haul is:

2 Dwarf Burning Bushes The could have been packed better, but they look okay.
4 Ananas nanus "pineapple". Yep, four pineapple plants, and they all look rugged and sturdy. They will stay inside, I think.
4 Dahlia, Babylon Bronze Large, but not dinnerplate size. They're described as marigold-orange. Pretty!
6 Delphiniums, mixed colors Nice looking roots Can't wait to see what colors they are
3 Black Eyed Susans Again, nice looking roots with some green top-growth. These will fit in anywhere around here.
10 Hardy Perennial Oriental Lilies mixed colors
6 Rosa Ranilla in pink. Pretty mini roses, can't believe one arrived in bloom! I have the perfect place for them.

I definitely got my $26.94 (inc shipping) worth! The retail on these, as advertised on their websites, came to just over $200, so their ad was accurate. With the mixed reviews that I've seen on both companies, I was a bit anxious about these orders, but I'm really happy with the quality and quantity of the plants I received. I was surprised and pleased to get bulbs.

Wheee!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm always leary of "if it sounds too good to be true". I'm a chicken and never take a risk. Glad you did and that it paid off for you.

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now that second box would have had me jumping for joy. I can picture where I would have put all that too!

I'm so happy for you, and if the deal comes around never year... I will FOR SURE jump on it!!!

Latest posts