100 Years Ago, nearby

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you imagine that you know about how people lived 100 years ago?

Just take out the cars, modern technology, leave the old buildings, right? People would behave about the same ... you sure about that?

What surprises me about this film is how people move around on the streets. I expected some integration of vehicles but - the pedestrians ... Good Grief!

I even recognize and have been in one of the buildings shown. If you are like me and live in a house built around this time, it's special to try and imagine the transportation challenges. Keep in mind that the filmmakers are trying to show how modern and up-to-date the city and nearby agriculture was.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The orchard didn't work out.

The river was many miles from the Deer Park orchard. It's a bit disingenuous to seem to imply that they were close. Irrigation was necessary but not adequate, as I understand it.

Still, that doesn't mean that all the trees perished. Maybe contacting the historical society would reveal where some of them are.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recognize some of the downtown pics of Spokane also. Spent many summer weekends on loon lake when our girls were young, I learned some of the lake history but not about the irrigation flume. Very interesting thanks for posting.

Latest posts