1st Harvest Today!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
And it was the radishes, believe it or not. They were ready faster than the strawberries, even, and the strawberries typically are the first things year after year.

I took some pictures of the radishes -- there were 4 that were ready-- and I'll get that picture up tomorrow, probably, right now there's a storm going on with lightening so I don't want to be online very long!

Since the radishes were our first fruits, we tithed them to our friends at our living history practice tonight. Everybody had at least a tiny bite and they all enjoyed them very much.

The bigger radishes are less spicy than the small one I tried last week, but I still won't be able to eat more than a few slices here and there! I guess there just isn't a truly mild radish out there.

I was so pleased to have something coming up :) The chives don't really count! LOL!

Speaking of the chives, going to make an update on that topic . . .

Whitewater

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats ;) !! may their be a lot more harvests to come in the months ahead. Yep radishes are pretty quick to harvest, today i thinned my radishes and already see little red radishes on top of the soil. It really is amazing to see so much going on right now in the garden and knowing that it will get better as the season goes on with all those harvests.

Enjoy the radishes!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yum yum! I love the first harvest. Radishes are a nice treat indeed. ;) Some ranch dressing and fresh on a plate, I go to town on those. :D

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I picked a mixing bowl almost full of blue lake bush green beans this morning.. I blanched them and froze them...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whitewater said:
And it was the radishes, believe it or not. They were ready faster than the strawberries, even, and the strawberries typically are the first things year after year.

I took some pictures of the radishes -- there were 4 that were ready-- and I'll get that picture up tomorrow, probably, right now there's a storm going on with lightening so I don't want to be online very long!

Since the radishes were our first fruits, we tithed them to our friends at our living history practice tonight. Everybody had at least a tiny bite and they all enjoyed them very much.

The bigger radishes are less spicy than the small one I tried last week, but I still won't be able to eat more than a few slices here and there! I guess there just isn't a truly mild radish out there.

I was so pleased to have something coming up :) The chives don't really count! LOL!

Speaking of the chives, going to make an update on that topic . . .

Whitewater
Try cooking slices of them in your stir fries. It takes out most of the bite and adds a nice earthy flavor.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When that starts happening...we start feeling like kids on Christmas morning, EVERYTIME we head out to the garden. Congrats and I hope everybody will be getting "that feeling" soon.

I picked 4 REAL nice cukes, this morning and got'em peeled, sliced, pickling and chillin in the fridge, right now. Gotta cut some brocolli this afternoon or in the morning.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I harvested the last of my pak choy way back, then there was a long lag but this morning I got my first zuke and there are plenty more on the plant so I guess I'm in for a lot of stir fry. Wish I had a bell pepper to go with it but they aren't ready yet.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We've been getting two or three radishes a day, since those first ones :)

The beets are taking their own sweet time coming up, but every day I see a new one, so I guess we didn't lose as many to birds and weather as I feared.

Here's a link to a pic of the radishes, for some reason I can't get the image to show up here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2457403750058348753kNpBro

Whitewater

Latest posts