1st Order For New Orchard

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have big cedar trees, little cedar trees and seeds waiting to sprout in the spring. My DH is obsessed with cedar trees and will carefully preserve them all. Even if I cut every one of them, there are cedar trees all around and they grow in the fence rows. Sooo........ you say this Liberty apple tree is resistant to CAR? I will have to check further on that! I wonder if Liberty has a deep rooted hankering to go live in east Texas? :lol:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please keep us updated on how these apples do! I am planning my orchard for my farm even now. :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
yep bay if you have cedar trees think CAR Willam's pride Liberty and Goldrush all resistant. Don't know how many cold hours they need . Amk bay wants to do a thread on starting a orchard.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too cool! This is great news! Very excited for you and glad you could find something that sounds like it will thrive for you

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fire blight has hit my area pretty badly the past couple of years. The extra rainfall encourages it to spread. I think I will lose my two big apple trees now as the bacteria has affected most of the scaffolding limbs. (Or maybe I'll just give them a really ugly haircut...) I will definitely be replacing them with a variety that is more resistant to fire blight. There is really no good preventative treatment for it. All you can do is prune out the damage.

It's very wise to pick disease resistant cultivars. You will save yourself a lot of trouble and a lot time spraying in the end. I've noticed that the local orchards mostly stick to the same few dependable varieties. It's a shame that there are not many choices of varieties that are disease resistant though. So many interesting apples out there to try otherwise!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I like that chart. :thumbsup Enterprise sounds like it would be a good cultivar for me, very resistant to fire blight in particular. I would bet some of them are hard to find since they are still under a patent.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
disease resistance can also be affected by the rootstock the selected variety is grafted to. some rootstock give better disease resistance while others could make it worse. some apple varieties also don't graft well to some rootstock while others thrive or can run rampant!

this seems to be just the Geneva rootstocks from Cornell http://www.cctec.cornell.edu/plants/GENEVA-Apple-Rootstocks-Comparison-Chart-140708.pdf

Univ of Maine for some really good comparison on apple rootstock. lots of good info for what is on the market.
http://www.extension.org/pages/60629/understanding-apple-tree-size:-dwarf-semi-dwarf-and-standard
http://www.extension.org/pages/60736/apple-rootstock-characteristics-and-descriptions

Latest posts