2010 veggie garden pictures

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few pictures of how things are coming along in the veggie garden this year.
BROCCOLI- I can never seem to get the huge heads like the commercial variety, I don't know if this is a result of trying to grow organically, or the species of seed I chose. Great flavor non-the less!
IMG_3087.jpg

BUSH BEANS- these are the tallest bush beans I have ever grown. I actually prefer the compact ones, as I can imagine the fun in trying to harvest these. Green beans are in the foreground, and almost twice the height of the wax beans toward the back. All were planted from saved seeds from last year. Why the greens grew twice as high as their parent plant, I can't figure..
IMG_3088.jpg

SQUASH- I always plant a variety of winter squash. This year includes Hubbard, Buttercup, Butternut, and Spaghetti. My summer squash include Black Beauty zuchinni , and yellowneck.
IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

CUKES- I mentioned in another thread how my cukes got off to a late start this year, as I had to re-seed after my early spring seedling died after a bout of bad weather. They are coming along now though, lots of flowers, although not visible in this photo. I always grow Marketmore, or Marketime variety- both great producers!
IMG_3092.jpg

TURNIP ETC.- I discovered what a wonderful dish turnip greens are! I enjoy them more than the turnips if truth be known..lol. You can keep cutting them off the this robust root, and nice new ones grow back. In this picture you can also see my Arugula (middle of picture towards the rear) which is starting to flower, (they bolt pretty quick in this heat). If your a salad lover you just have to try this added to your lettuce! The bright white flower in the foreground next to some broccoli, is my garlic chives-Love these!
You taller plant behind the broccoli is the one lone volunteer sunflower I have this year.
IMG_3090.jpg

POLE BEANS- My Scarlet Runners seemed to have a slow start this year, but they are doing well now. I only grew the one teepee this year, as it produces plenty for the two of us.
IMG_3093.jpg

MY SCARECROWS- "Hippy Chic", rec'd a new outfit to wear this year, (compliments of my Wife), while she watches over the garden. Some days I spend more time with her than my wife. "The Big Guy" we moved to look after the orchard..I think he was bored of the veggies..
IMG_3094.jpg

100_0543.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the tour!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:clap Very nice garden you have. We love pics!

Your scarecrows are creepy--bet they work great. :lol:

whamby2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! Really enjoyed the pics of your nice garden - bet you make a bumper crop!:clap

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything looks absolutely gorgeous!! Good job! You will have plenty of delicious food this winter! How do you store your winter squash? Are the turnips easy to grow? Congratulations on a very beautiful garden!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Everything looks absolutely gorgeous!! Good job! You will have plenty of delicious food this winter! How do you store your winter squash? Are the turnips easy to grow? Congratulations on a very beautiful garden!
Thanks everybody, glad you liked the photos.:)

Actually this has been a bad year for the garden...:/...it is just finally starting to take shape, as things mature a bit more. I just can't water it as much as I'd like to, due to the drought conditions. We have had. 50 days without rain I heard on the radio today. Darn thing was the spring was too wet, and cool, and everything was really late getting going. Now when I could really use some rain..nada drop..:rolleyes:

Lesa, as to your questions.
I find turnips are very easy to grow, and they can get huge! You need to not let them to big though or they can get woody. I find with growing organically, that I have problems with wire worms in the lower part of the root. Fortunately a large portion of the turnip grows above the soil level, which is not affected. I simply slice off the portion the worms have done damage, and eat the rest.
If you wanted to use pesticides, such as commercial growers do, you wouldn't have the wire worms. Some diazonol sprinkled into the seed row would prevent this probem as well as a pesticide drench.

I am using dichotomous earth in several areas of the garden, but haven't used any for the turnips. Not sure if it would work dug into the soil as effectively as it is on surface pests.

The winter squash keep very well in our cool fall weather. I have a cold storage building, (see the third picture, the shed with the whirly vent on the roof) that I store them in. It is well insulated, and also has additional controllable venting.
Part of the trick is to let the squash harden in the sun before storing them. The stem should dry up as well. I learned (from this forum), that wiping them with a mild bleach/water mixture, and a rag, will also allow them to store longer, without mold forming.

Latest posts