2014 Garden Pics

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jim, you're planting the corn in that 48'x4' raised bed? Won't it get too tall to pick? I don't think you would get in the bed and stand on the soil to pick the corn.

Mary
No. The bed really isn't raised at this point. Right now it's just bordered in with landscaping timbers that I've 'nailed' down with rebar rods through hole that I bored out at the end of each timber. First I used my tiller and pulverized the soil down about 6 inches or so and then I added a couple of pickup loads of some garden mix that we bought at a local landscaping yard. Then we amended it with vermiculite, sphagnum moss and some rotted cow manure and tilled that all together with the existing soil. That pretty much only raised the level up to the top of the landscaping timbers once I put them in place. What I want to do this fall is to add another course of the landscaping timbers around the entire perimeter of the bed and repeat the process. That'll only raise the bed maybe 6 inches or so at the most. I'm 6'2" tall so it shouldn't be a problem to take the ears or cut the okra. Originally I wanted to do the bed with old railroad cross ties but Teresa overrode that idea saying the creosote might leech into the bed. I doubt it but I deferred to her argument anyways.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Enjoyed your pics, Jim! Everything looks great. Those raised beds sure are a joy to work with, aren't they. Nice and tidy. I love your set up. Looks like you've left yourself plenty of room for expansion too.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice job on the garden. Jim! Looks easy to care for, and you can simply mow between most of the beds.

I opted for building similar raised beds for my garden, starting last year. I got half done, and have been working on the other half this spring. Rather than growing grass between the beds, I first laid down plastic tarp material, and thickly covered it with coarse cedar chips. I lose a lot of growing space, but it has been fantastic for weed control. It''s a lot cleaner as well, not tracking mud all around the yard/patio after watering.

Mary, fortunately corn cobs form lower down on the stalk, so he won't have to reach up to far up the plants..Not sure about Okra though..is that a taller plant that has fruit form at the top?

I have had some problems reaching the top of my scarlet runner bean tee-pee's. Never fails, there always seems to be some great pickings right at the very top..8-9' up..:\

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't remember how to post pictures here?
Can you do it directly from your computer picture files, or do you need to link them from a Photobucket type of account?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't remember how to post pictures here?
Can you do it directly from your computer picture files, or do you need to link them from a Photobucket type of account?
You can upload them directly from the computer by clicking on the green upload file button, or copy and paste works too.

Latest posts