2015 journal of the gardens

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We can't seem to grow white potatoes here in SC. Too hot I guess. But sweet potatoes grow really well :confused:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted 5 Carolina red raspberries and 5 Fall Gold raspberries yesterday. They are the start of grand daughters secret garden. Put up cow panels for them to grow on. We bowed another panel into an archway for the entrance to secret garden. Right now it doesn't look very secret, just 3 cow panels with 10 sticks that promise to grow. Rest of garden looks like successful weed farm.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
pulled the rest of the beets yanked the spinach. the only veggies out there are some parsnips, leeks,green onions,and about 75 carrots.

DSC_0004.JPG

topped off the beds with peat moss and tilled in , so now have a clean slate for spring planting figure will start popping seeds next weekend...

now i know everyone has change jars, over the last year everyday when i get home empty my pockets and the change goes into numerous steins around the house, today was cash in day went to food lion where they have a coinstar machine had 115.23 in change turned that into a lowes e-certificate.
drove to lowes and picked up 10 3 cu ft of peat moss only costed out of pocket $3.00... gotta love those steins of change.

while there was looking at a husqvarna 54" mower to replace should say retire the garden tractor from mowing duties, got a call from my mechanic with a estimate for my truck ""poof there goes the mower idea"" oh well it's a part of life...... no truck no work..

did pick up the last spring for the g/t drove over to tractor supply and picked up a new dog bed for nolas crate came home took care of the beds and mowed sections of the property that had spring weeds/wild onions popping up and a general spring mow.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ecertificate for Lowe's, eh!?

My Coinstar account feeds Amazon. I could make better use of Lowe's ... however, I don't know how many years it would take me to amass that much change!

For some reason, Amazon knows about my credit card cash back ... last time I was in, Lowe's wanted to know if they could keep track of things for me online. You don't suppose there is some sort of competition and a conspiracy to separate me from my money ..?

I hope that peat is just what your soil needs. If you grew dahlias, Major, you could get peat moss to provide double service ;). Dahlia root storage through the winter. Then, use as garden mulch and amendment in the spring.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's always the carrots with you isn't it Major! :smack
hum sounds like jealousy or envy still looking for that elusive purple carrot... still love you :hugs

got word today that the company is shutting down a store, so have been invited to join the decommissioning crew this upcoming weekend. well there goes my plans to pop some seeds. never know it might be for the better?

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Doing things a little different this year, organic and no till with heavy mulch, top layer of mulch is wheat straw from lowes covering whatever leaves and grass clippings I could come up with. Took out a Bradford pear and trimmed back overhang limbs from neighbors tree to get more sun. Have planted over the last month: peas, onions, some really nice organic transplants of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, arugula, kale, spinach, lettuce. From seeds: potato onions, beets, carrots, and more lettuce. Finally last week 2 early girls under a wall of water gizmo, hope it works, supposed to get down to 28 this weekend. Oh forgot the potatoes, Yukon gold and some kind or red, sprouted them myself. Got them from fresh market's organic section and planted them under straw. Neighbor hood rabbit likes lettuce and broccoli, so I used blood meal and a product called re pell, after 3 plants got munched on. No more problems since.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 241

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
3/29/15
tilled the main garden again and broke ground on the new area where we will be growing peas...
DSC_0010.JPG

in the raised bed area planted
bok chio, red and green bibb lettuce and a couple joker head lettuce, red and golden beets and a whole bed of spinach.
DSC_0011.JPG

and yes even pulled some of last winter carrots for for the lunch box ...
DSC_0012.JPG

will plant more as soon as the weather improves a wee bit....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
3/30/15
got up early to do the west virginia run, yup the virginia state troops were handing out good driver tickets once you got past fancy gap did my 3 stops up there and the 2 in mount airy,nc drove the truck back to the home<will be doing a local shuttle run tomorrow> no reason to drive back to the shop.

after the girls and i went for our walk and they got their cookies, decided to to get rid of those roots in the pea / pole bean area as i was tilling it up yesterday the tiller kept jumping in a certain spot..it looks good in this photo.
DSC_0008.JPG

but after doing some digging found out there are roots from the old gumball tree, grabbed the shovel, pick axe.... oh my that was a workout that i was not expecting
even had to breakout the chainsaw. dig up the roots past the new up coming fence line....
DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

those gumball trees sure put out some serious roots....
wonder what those 1000 year old redwood root systems look like in california.

Latest posts