2015 journal of the gardens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little more extensive but it is something like my first task in one garden. I was just admiring my effort from about a week ago.

The spruce trees are alive, however. They are very bad garden neighbors :confused:.

I go along with the spade and slice the roots that have invaded over the previous 6 months. Winter months or summer, they invade.

I don't know what the human neighbors think about my behavior with their trees - there are 3 spruce. Most of the time, I'm well hidden behind the boughs. They must notice the bed dug out or freshly turned. It is a garden, after all!

I try to be circumspect about burying all the dang feeder roots severed from their trees ... now, if I could just do something about their shade :confused:

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every year I pull a few cinderblocks out of one corner of my garden where the frost heaves up the remains of an old cellar that was filled in. That is a heck of a big root! Good for you staying after it!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some pretty healthy roots Major! Good job getting them out.
:)

I always knew you could grow good roots though, because you're always showing off those long orange ones.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yum that miracle grown garden dirt really works for you! I bought 5 bags for myself. did you get rid of your Blackberries? I have planted 3 arbors full. I also have 2 of blueberries, and 4 of grapes. my carrots are too small yet. Everything looks good up there, I started English peas and they are coming around nicely about 1-2 inches.
Congratulations on having so much energy, Everything looks great!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/4/15
after dropping off my truck at the mechanics this morning dw and drove to work to pick up the box truck that i am driving for another week, unloaded it and then reloaded it for my west virginia run monday and brought it home.

finally took care of putting up the new fence around the main garden.
DSC_0001.JPG

after thinking about it put in 2 entry points front and rear.

DSC_0004.JPG

plus so making each end able to peel back at the gates, when it's time to till the fence will not hamper going thought. did decided to for go including the old posts from the blackberries... tomorrow will do the final till set the trellis system for the peas and plant them.

the lettuce is seeing their first true day light going to plant them tomorrow as well.
DSC_0005.JPG

either tonight or sometime in the morning going to transplant all the children into their 3' pots and start a couple more seeds.
DSC_0006.JPG

hopefully the driver that i am covering for will be able to come back in a week i am soooo ready for my vacation. put in 60 hrs last week and 50 this week, don't get me wrong will do just about anything for the company but it's time to relax and recharge my batteries........

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/5/15
planted the lettuce this afternoon, even have a couple bok chio/lettuce/beets/spinach poking their heads above the soil even a couple potatoes popping as well.
DSC_0007.JPG

ran the tiller though the garden again today, definitely you can tell the difference between the soil. left new expansion clampy clay soil, right pampered
garden soil. this fall will get about 20yds of leaf mulch and spend it/till it and put down a cover crop again...
DSC_0010.JPG

transplanted all the children into their 3" pots as well.
DSC_0001.JPG

once on i get to take a vacation will have to tackle that procrastination project, the greenhouse the winter took a toll on it... the back side is worse.
DSC_0002.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that an old Troybilt Major? Our neighbors have an old horse version that I have some serious tiller lust for. They told me to come get it, I could use it as much as I wanted, but I'm skittish of borrowing things I can't afford to replace. I'll probably end up hiring the tractor guy to turn the one garden. It got a lot of leaves and pen cleanings dumped in it through the fall. Or get dh to mess with my Tuffy, it was giving me fits last summer, will only run for him.