2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that an old Troybilt Major? Our neighbors have an old horse version that I have some serious tiller lust for. They told me to come get it, I could use it as much as I wanted, but I'm skittish of borrowing things I can't afford to replace. I'll probably end up hiring the tractor guy to turn the one garden. It got a lot of leaves and pen cleanings dumped in it through the fall. Or get dh to mess with my Tuffy, it was giving me fits last summer, will only run for him.
thats a 1973 ariens rocket 5 my fil give it to us the old 5 hp engine blow up so he sent us a 7hp engine it has been a very good tiller and a money pit at the same time.
once it does die going to purchase a troy-bilt big red tiller. knowing good darn well my gardens are going to grow in size...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are allowed to procrastinate with 50-60hr work weeks.

If you have to get the children out before repairs on the greenhouse can be done, how about a hoopie on the lawn?

You can cover 4' with 10' ½ PVC pipe over rebar stakes or spikes. Edges of plastic film can be held with lathe on boards - you need some more of those bricks if it's windy. Roll the boards for daytime venting and set up on crates.

You will have to move plants indoors if it gets close to freezing. I like to set the flats on 1 by 2's and not mow the grass before setting up the hoopie. Moving it every 7 days keeps the lawn grass alive.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are allowed to procrastinate with 50-60hr work weeks.

If you have to get the children out before repairs on the greenhouse can be done, how about a hoopie on the lawn?

You can cover 4' with 10' ½ PVC pipe over rebar stakes or spikes. Edges of plastic film can be held with lathe on boards - you need some more of those bricks if it's windy. Roll the boards for daytime venting and set up on crates.

You will have to move plants indoors if it gets close to freezing. I like to set the flats on 1 by 2's and not mow the grass before setting up the hoopie. Moving it every 7 days keeps the lawn grass alive.

Steve

to be quite honest my redneck greenhouse was only to be temporary, well that was 3 years ago. will do a quick reskin for this spring and then starting thinking about building a more permanent greenhouse this fall/winter <a good hibernation project>.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
after getting home from the west virginia run pulled all the winter carrots tilled in some black kow and planted for spring. planted white,yellow, purple and normal orange.
ran out of steam hopefully get the pea trellis and peas in the ground tomorrow if the weather holds looks like some good rain this week.......

since i knocked out my 2 stops in west virginia on the way out hit the lowes up there figured i would pick up the black kow there, to my surprize they did not have any asked the nursery person all she could say was "black kow whats that" thanked her jumped back in the truck made my other 21 stops in mount airy,nc well how about that they had 7 pallets of it looked around not a single cart to be found had to go out to the parking lot to get one..grrrr
payed for my 3 bags and headed for home....

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 6793
either tonight or sometime in the morning going to transplant all the children into their 3' pots and start a couple more seeds.
So ... first you transplant all of your children , fatten them up in a new feed lot and then EAT them ? You CANNIBAL :barnie

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/7/15
finally got the peas in the ground after work did 2 35' rows gave them a good watering and called it. will have dig out all the soaker hoses tomorrow and see which ones will fit. really hope that the comes in as predicted...

the dogwoods are started to flower, thats north carolina state tree... with the wicked cold weather we had for nc was amazed that the kiwi survived they are coming to life.... the lone pippin apple has buds on it, it's the only one who has not surcome to apple cidar rust.

tic toc tic toc hopefully will be taking my vacation in 2 weeks.......

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
:weeei have released from driving the driver i have been covering for comes back tomorrow, it has been a long 3 weeks :weee

told the g/m that i was taking next week off. after picking up my truck, which i was surprised on the bill 300 less than expected still needs more TLC soon but what do expect from a 17 year old diesel truck with 332k. still need to get the front end aligned checked the 10 day forecast just might might hold off another week looks like it's going to rain most of next week, why burn up vacation time if you can not get out and play in the garden....
finally got home and watered the beds and peas of course they our calling for a 1/4" tonight....

oh it's going to be so nice to sleep in tonight no 3-4 am wake-up, just a nice 5:30 am wake-up.....SLEEP

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planted 24 tomatoes, 7 peppers, and one eggplant, plants in 41/2" pots from the tasteful garden in Alabama. Also, one dwarf tomato, Purple Rosella in a pot drilled holes with portable drill and threw in a handful of worm castings, took a shower and had to use a fingernail brush! Next week, beans and squash. Cut some lettuce, spinach, arugula, kale and pulled some onions from the garden for tonight's salad. Forecast is lows around 60 and 75 for highs for next ten days so life is good!, last frost is April 15.ATTACH=full]6875[/ATTACH]
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts