2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd have to go look and it's raining. I'm pretty sure most of them are oak though I'm not sure which types. A lot of different oaks grow here, occasionally with interesting fall foliage. I've collected a few acorns over there to try to start a few trees from seed. I'll be dead by the time those I started are decent size but the next person can either enjoy them or cut them down. Oaks grow really slowly but if you don't start them they don't grow at all.

There is a walnut kind of in the background of those front trees. A lot of the trees up on Stevenson Mountain are Elm also. Elm does fairly well here.

That dead tree was killed in an ice storm in '08. I regularly see hawks and vultures perched on top. A while back I even saw a bald eagle and a pretty large mostly white owl perched on top.

That's pretty much the view from my front door.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MY four haven't sprouted yet, though some have pushed partly out of the soilless mix. Those that have appear swollen compared to their original condition. Hope they begin to unfurl leaves soon.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted some blue lake bush to see if the ground is warm enough for them to sprout. I'm not going to risk any or Russ's beans until I know the conditions are right. They have not made it up yet. Blue lake bush is what I eat off of until my blue lake pole come in for canning.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Getting a bit nervous as none of the seed have sprouted yet. I removed one Admire Snitbonen seed from the pot. It is not rotten, but also showing no sign of wanting to burst forth into leaf.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi VA_LongBean,

When did you actually plant the seeds. Beans can take about a week to emerge from the soil after you planted them. You say they show no signs of bursting forth with leaves. Is there a small root protruding out of the seed near the eye of the bean?

Last edited:

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No roots on the one I looked at. Didn't want to disturb the rest. It's been just a week. I think I'll return to the waiting room and my nervous pacing. ;)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
#25 only sprouted. The next day it was missing a cotyledon. Then the other half fell off. Wonder if a bird got to it? Will replant one more bean. I have them outside during the day and then bring inside for night.

#54 and #55 still not sprouted, 10 days later. But I can see growth under the dirt if I displace it a bit.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @murphysranch

Give them beans some more time to germinate. They might surprise you yet. Most of this seed is getting old and it might take a little longer for some of them to grow. Seedling vigor might be down a little bit.

Latest posts