2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I know what Evening Moon looked like when it went in--I always photograph originals for comparison. It helps me compare results, especially when so many ones are new to me. They were bush form. (Very few of the beans marked as half runners did any running at all, could be because they were drowning in the rain though).

I won't call them Evening Moon anymore, but I'll likely grow them out next year to see what they do, as I kind of like the mix. Also, it was the most productive of all the bush beans in both quantity and weight, so from a subsistence standpoint they are worth keeping to me.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerweaver, Mrocumiere got you at least one outcross in there, the one that's pintoed in 3 shades of pink.

The stone bread is doing well. Looks like one got a splash of red. It had a sibling which was all brick red. Those come out of pebblestone, and i'm thinking they will make for a variety which will be great refries beans.

the shoshone outcross mix is still making those pintoed tricolors. it'd be nice if those stabilize.

try to sort through the shoshone outcross 2 2015
for the boldest coloring.

thge shoshone outcross 1 2015 look stable to me! Do they all look alike in person? I kind of think those may be shoshone on the way to being stable.

those 2 pintoed koronis purple do look like early generation outcross.

Did I send you some of the other versions of evening moon with names such as wax moon and eclipse moon?
Last year, 2014, evening moon was grown near shoshone. Both seem to be easy outcrossers.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth the Shoshone 1 do look pretty stable to me, too. Yes, I will only plant the boldest colored Shoshone 2 next time. I like the pintoed Koronis Purple, will work with them next spring. No, you did not send me wax moon or eclipse moon. What did they look like? You did send me Evening Moon #4...did it have another name? There's a photo of it. It looked very similar to the one I planted. You said it was a KT, for keep trying and it didn't like drought. Thinking we'd be in drought, I didn't plant it, LOL. Pity I didn't plant it instead!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth , I've got Wax Moon in my garden this year. One of the few beans I did get to plant. They're doing great, just blooming now. As are Russ's grow-outs. I expect a good harvest from them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver,

Do you have a Runner bean that has a lilac colored seed coat with very widely and sparsely marked with a few black flecks? The seed is not marked the same as Scarlet Runner or Painted Lady. I saw it on your Flickr photos. Page 8, 7th photo down the page and the left side. I grew a Runner bean like this in the early 80's and knew it as "Prizewinner". I want to buy some from you. Do you have enough of these to sell? I am going to split the sample with a Seneca native man in Pennsylvania who has asked me to collect various runner beans for him. I obtained 5 others this past winter from other SSE members.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone grow any Phaseolus Coccineus beans? I'm looking to purchase from someone a Runner bean that has a lilac colored seed with just a few widely spaced black specks on the seed. I grew one like this back in the early 1980's and knew the variety as "Prizewinner".

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I grow several varieties of P. coccineus, but only one variety each year because they cross so easily. In my stash I have 'Gigandes' the white Greek runner, 'Sadie's Horse Bean' (haven't grown these yet), I think I have a few 'Sunset' (haven't grown these yet either), 'Aeron Purple Star', a new purple podded stringless runner from Wales and lastly Insuk's Wang Kong, this one actually doesn't do to bad in warmer climes. As you can see from the picture the seeds are a mix of colors but some do resemble the seed coat you describe.
DSCN2951.jpg
This is a real mix you can also get some pure black as well as white seed in the mix.
Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 me again Are Mr. Fothergill's Seeds sold in your neck of the woods? They sell 'Prizewinner' the runner you're looking for. There are several other UK sources for them too. Have you checked Thompson and Morgan, they just might have them listed.
Annette

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 me again Are Mr. Fothergill's Seeds sold in your neck of the woods? They sell 'Prizewinner' the runner you're looking for. There are several other UK sources for them too. Have you checked Thompson and Morgan, they just might have them listed.
Annette
They sell in the UK and Australia/NZ, I know only the UK range has one labelled as Prize Winner and the Australian just has one labelled Scarlet Runner.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

I checked Mr. Fothergill's, and they do have a runner bean called Prizewinner. However I have no way of knowing if it's the seed I'm looking for or another variation or Scarlet Runner. A lot of the runner varieties have seeds that are just like Scarlet Runner so they seem to me to be just variations. When I got on their website and tried to check out with the Prizewinner there was no country choice for the U.S.A. I think Fothergills is in the UK.

What I have been trying to accomplish is I have been in contact the last two years with a Seneca man who lives in Pensylvania. He has seen my website and he's gotten a number of beans from me. I have gotten a bunch of native beans that he grows. Last autumn he asked me to collect a bunch of Runner varieties. We agreed that we would split the samples that I collected. I told him I would collect one sample of all the basic colors and patterns in Runner Beans that I was aware of which I thought there were six of them. So I already have a black seeded runner, a white one. I have Scarlet Runner, Painted Lady, and Apricot Runner. So that was five of them. I then remembered the lilac colored seed which is sparsely marked with black flecks in the seed coat just like the one you have pictured in your basket of beans. Actually I think I've seen a listing in the SSE yearbook for a brown seeded runner. It's called Chocolate Runner I believe.

I think I've seen the Lilac colored Runner bean on @flowerweaver flickr pages. So perhaps I should just PM her and see if she has that bean and enough she can sell me.

I only grew one Runner bean this year myself. I have the Painted Lady growing and it's doing very well behind my house.

Last edited: