2018 Garden Tour

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year's garden tour is now history. We received next to nothing in rainfall this summer, raveged by moles as well as verticilium wilt that all ploted to destroy all plant life. my wife has been away at a N Wash. University for the past week to put on the annual scholarship " Teck Treck " science camp for 7th and 8th grade girls sponsored by AAUW. I had a new roof installed as well as all new windows and hardy board siding in the process of being installed due to delays of widow delivery as well as siding ... ie: construction zone. Not to mention that I had a magnesium deficiency that landed me in to hospital for 2 1/2 days. Since the doctors and nurses insist on poking and proding one about every hour 24 hours a day, one does not get a good night's sleep. So, I crashed at 4 AM and ended up slipping down to the very foot of the hospital bed. When I was awaken once again about an hour later, I woke up with a pinched nerve in my L hip which result that I could NOT even move my leg. By Friday, I could barely move my leg and had to walk with the aid of crutches. All this pointed to total disasterous tour. Getting to this Sunday's Garden Tour. the County personel provided me with only one sided 3 "A" frame directional signs to guide people to my garden wile I needed 5 double sided A frame signs. There was to be 4 Master Gardeners to come and help with each tour... only 2 showed up. Temperatures have been in the mid 90* s for 3 days and at 98* for Sun. The tour was to start at 10 and end at 4 ... however... the public started to come at 9:30 and the last person arrived at 5:15. We were inundated and stopped counting noses at 128 groups . I was on my crutches and talked non stop to the point that I got hoarse. We couldn't even have a moment to eat anything , but drank water with lots on ice by the gallon to stay hydrated. We not only had locals as well as people from Washington and Oregon, but also several from Cal., Montana, Mich., Penn., Canada, one group from China, and one group from Mexico. I showed everyone the good points as well as the damages to expect from garden pests and pathogens which we were constantly complemented on as noone else would talk about unless specificall asked about. I then had a hamburger, took a cool shower and fell into bed. Zzzzzzzzz ! :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i would have bailed so you are a tougher sort than i Gungadin (or is that Gil-Gamesh?)... i'm glad it worked out in the end for you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aren't you glad it's over? In June I also had my garden on tour. Fortunately it was by reservation and I only wanted 40 people since it was going to be just an hour and a half. I also had several Master Gardeners present but it seemed that everyone wanted to ask me the questions. It was a lot of work leading up to it and everyone was very impressed and appreciative that I opened my garden to the public. I did enjoy it immensly and would do it again.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some years life hits you right between the eyes doesn't it? You held up your end anyway. Do you plan to do it again next year?
Will I do it again next year .... YEA if I can save the Japanese Maple trees from the verticilium wilt , ferns from burning up in the HEAT WAVE that we are having , etc. The 3 strawberry hills that were churning out a large colander to overflowing berries every day from late spring to fall has produced 7 edible berries for the past 2 weeks. What berries form then shrivel up to a hard crisp, and most of the plants have turned to crispy critters ... so I pulled them all out, roots and all. Then sprayed them with an epsum salts solution, added 2 " of compost and double dug the hills. Anyone have any bright ideas as to what to plant ... the hills are mostly sunny throughout the day, partial shade in morning or evening from Japanese maple trees nearby. These hills will have more shade as the maples grow. :caf

Latest posts