2019 Garden Tour

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The eight dozen strawberry plants came to reside on 4 large hills in my back yard 2 years ago, they reproduced and produced sweet large berries by the colander full every day during the spring and summer, and needless to say each of our neighbors got several generous helpings. then verticillium wilt came a calling in late Aug. last year ... all of them died. Both of my 8 ft. tall black elderberry bushes succumbed within 3 days . Just this past month , I have now lost 7 blueberry bushes. 8 Iris plants succumbed. 3 Japanese maple trees died. Shall I go on ... I am now in the process of cleaning up and prepareing my yards ( with help from volanteer master gardeners ) and then replant with resistant plants... that is IF I can find any as all of the nurseries that I have contacted do not have any and there is very little chance of these nurseries in ordering and getting them from the large wholesale production nurseries as they are takeing full advantage of making lots of money producing only replacment susseptable plants that the public has already lost. AND it is costing me a large bank note or two to replace what was lost. My computer is quite elderly and has difficulty with fancy stuff like sharing photos on the web... the photos that a professional photographer will be taken in late April or May ( depending on weather and availability of the photographer ). The photos will be the property of the photographer as they will be copyrited and shared with the tour group as an education tool only.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sorry that your yard and garden has been struck by wilt. How devastating. So now your garden will be photographed as a waste land. :hit

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some of the plants that I purchased between raindrops, showers, and wind driven rain. Acer palmatum 'Wills Devine' ( 10 x 10' Red / purple ) Acer p. 'Hime Shojo' (6 x 4) cherry red. Acer. P Ukon ( 9 x 5, yellow. These were on clearance at a wholesale nursery. The other plants are Verticillium wilt resistant that I purchased from several nurseries : 22 - Dwarf Mugo pine 18" to 24" tall ( I will prune select ones into Bonzi shapes over the years ). 4 Gerard's Fuchia Azalia, 3 Berard's crimson azalia. 3 Snow white Port Oxford Cyress ( Dwarf to 8'). 5 Lawson False cypress ( up to 8') . 9 Germander Trichimium chenaedrys . 6 Himalayan maiden hair fern. 3 N. Korian rock fern. 18 Tassel Fern . 36 Autumm fern ( Phillipines, Japan, China ). 7 Adriantu, x Tracyi ( Tracy's maidenhair a hybrid fern) . 17 Black Mondo grass. I will go up to the snow covered foothills in the next week or two to dig up about a dozen sword ferns that a lady that is friends with my wife offered to her. The ferns will be planted in shady areas provided by birch, Japanese maples, and crabapple trees and by large boulder retaining walls, fence and house. It has been too rainy to have a planting party with the master gardeners, so that has been postponed until some favorable weather co-operates as well as time availability.

Latest posts