2019 SEED CATALOGS!!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started perusing the catalogs to try to find a tomato that is resistant to early blight.
I was appalled at the speed at which my plants gave up the ghost last season, (I suspected early blight) starting first with the beautiful New Yorkers that @Nyboy sent me seeds for. One of the catalogs lists New Yorker as early blight resistant, so I am wondering if it is something besides early blight.
Most seeds don't list EB as one of their resistances, but there are a couple in the "Mountain" series that are. Also, one called Defiant, that I had a couple plants of, two years ago. I do think it remained green all season, so I will try some more of those.
I know my method of gardening is attractive to diseases, with the no-till permanent mulch, even though I am careful with watering. I might start doing some fungicide spraying early next year, to see if that helps.:idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Legend for several years.

Blight is a more serious problem in Oregon's Willamette Valley. (Do you have a gardening relative there, @so lucky ?) The horticulturalists at OSU came up with Legend beefsteak.

It's a determinate, like @Nyboy 's New Yorker but later. In fact, I can plant Legend with all of the other tomato varieties and it just about perfectly fills out my season. The tomatoes don't all ripen at once because cool weather will be slowing everything down. Anyway, I look on that as an advantage ;).

Juliet is supposed to be a blight-resistant grape tomato. The huge, indeterminate plants were extremely productive for me.

By the way, Juliet is a hybrid. Legend is open-pollinated.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey. Juliet is also supposed to be resistant to Septoria. That can sometimes be a real problem in my tomato patch.

I looked through Cornell's list of plum (they have Juliet with the plums), heirlooms and slicers. Some reason they have F1 Caiman with the heirloom. Iron Lady F1 is a resistant slicer. Septoria - Not a real common resistance.

I don't know what happened to my Yellow Jellybean plant last season. I think it was the 5th year for me to have them. Two years, I had Red Jellybeans and they sickened, right beside the Yellow. The Yellow had no problem. In 2018, it did! Nothing I could identify ... plants slowly wilted. I liked Yellow Jellybean - tastes like a tomato ... rather than the candy-flavor of Sungold ... which is good, too.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we are talking tomatoes, this coming year I will be growing Candyland instead of Sungold. Candyland is higher on the sugar scale. I really didn't find Sungold to be all that sweet. Plus it splits when I pick them. Being hopeful.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If Eugene is in the Willamette Valley, then yes, I have a gardening relative there. Pretty sure no diseases spread from here to there or there to here, though.
We have really high humidity here in the summer. That may have something to do with my tomato woes. I also had problems with peppers rotting. But I think that was from stink bug bites. Every time I remember how much trouble I had with stink bugs, I tell myself I'm not going to put out a garden next year. Hmm.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Eugene is less than an hour upriver from Corvallis, the home of OSU. (Rivalry there because Eugene is the home of UofO ;).)

OSU is the Oregon Extension headquarters and where all sorts of interesting varieties of this and that have come from.

I wasn't suggesting that your family was responsible for spreading the plague ... I'm saying that the Willamette Valley has problems with blight that other areas of the West, do not. Maybe, you could compare notes and gardening family in Oregon should ask Extension about some of the OSU real nifty tomato varieties.

Missouri was a center for the western expansion. There is a "Spokane" Missouri ..! It's named for the eastern Washington location (Indian tribe). Aaand, that's not the only Missouri community sharing a western name ... but, I forget any other examples. Oh yeah! California, Missouri and Oregon, Missouri are a couple more :).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I cannot be trusted with rare seeds bc I would probably not care for them very well.
I saw a program about and downloaded a catalog from a company called "High Mowing Seeds."
https://www.highmowingseeds.com/
The owner started this company some 20 years ago to save heirlooms and they practice NO chemical spraying. They also test and try to produce a seed that is resistant to disease and claim that the resistances are nationwide. They test outside of their 600 acres, then test again on site before approving seeds for sale.
It made sense to me. I downloaded their 100+ page catalog and intend to buy some squash seeds to see if they are more hardy than those I have bought in the past.
The website also contains interesting articles.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I learned today that Kitazawa Seed has a CD catalog that they will mail to you ..!

That would be okay ... I'm trying to think of an advantage of a compact disc ...

@Zeedman commented on Burrell and their speed with shipping on @Gardening with Rabbits ' catalog thread. The last few years, Kitazawa shipped my online order the same day I made it ! However, their paper catalog is absolutely the last one to arrive in my mailbox. Easy to use the online catalog at anytime. They don't seem in a rush to update their webpages but, I mean, the company celebrated a century of doing business in 2017!

Interesting how different companies do business different ways. I suppose that we shouldn't really try to push any uniformity.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I read that they sell a Hubbard squash (SKU 2925-A) that is a "Excellent trap crop for cucumber beetles, who prefer Blue Hubbard above all."
trap crop
noun
noun: trap crop; plural noun: trap crops

a crop planted to attract insect pests from another crop, especially one in which the pests fail to survive or reproduce.
https://www.southeastfarmpress.com/vegetables/trap-crops-can-be-valuable-tool-vegetable-production

I grew Hubbard squash first year at my property and loved the taste, so I would be happy to grow it again.
Every year I move my pumpkins and zucchini and every year the squash bugs follow. It does seem to help with the squash vine borers to rotate beds. I have one acre of different places to grow, but SOMEBODY has to have a solution to this!!!!!! :he:he:he
@ninnymary
How do you like their products?

Last edited:

Latest posts