2021 Seed Orders

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, DW has at least 2 lbs of seeds that are a mix of annual, perennial, and three large packets of wildflower mix. I hope even just a few things will sprout out of a 60mph high speed planting. There are a couple spots on our routes that we think somebody has already bombed because of what is growing on the side of road.I put all of the older seed in a paper sack and was either going to toss it or feed the birds , and she wanted to do the bombs with it . So we will see what comes from it hopefully something.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been known to drive slowly down a little traveled road with a battery operated broadcast seeder full of hairy vetch, seeding as i go. Drive slow, favor the ditch, window down, stick your arm out, man you can really spread some seed with that thing. 5 lbs will do a 1/4 mile easily!

this was done for bee forage and some will have a fit because they view vetch as an invasive specie😳, the bees disagree! And besides, our road department seeds it AND yellow sweet clover (another invasive specie) in the ditches of new roads.

Last edited:

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been known to drive slowly down a little traveled road with a battery operated broadcast seeder full of hairy vetch, seeding as i go. Drive slow, favor the ditch, window down, stick your arm out, man you can really spread some seed with that thing. 5 lbs will do a 1/4 mile easily!

this was done for bee forage and some will have a fit because they view vetch as an invasive specie😳, the bees dissagree!
If I caught someone illegally broadcasting seed here, I would call the cops on them. You do not have the right to decide what grows on other people's property.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SOME plants are invasive where it's warm and annuals where it is NOT.
I imagine that parts of Alaska are NOT hospitable to many invasive species.
I ALSO know that in the west you pretty much cannot buy a bale of hay for your trailered horse that isn't "weed free." That tells me that the western Rockies ARE hospitable to many weeds and invasives.
We, in IL are hospitable, too, but several invasives that proliferate in the South, don't do as well here.
For instance:
Kentucky Bluegrass occurs in every county of Illinois and it is quite common (see Distribution Map). ... While it is not considered a major invasive species (at least in Illinois), it is often found in some native habitats as described above. Its capacity to recover from wildfires is poor.
It's not easy to grow a pasture of bluegrass here. It often gets choked out from other grasses and weeds.
According to this site, it is invasive in the South:

Latest posts