2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today a friend gifted me three new kinds of bean seeds that her Italian mom used to grow in her Vancouver, B.C. area garden. Her mom passed away four years ago, but my friend's sister was able to locate some of the dry beans tucked inside envelopes in their mom's basement. Another acquaintance provided me with samples of two other beans that her Italian parents have been growing out for over 40 years, so now I have five bean varieties with Italian roots. They are so beautiful!
Exciting! I hope they grow well for you.
The second one from the left, in the pods, looks very like P. coccineus seed.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today a friend gifted me three new kinds of bean seeds that her Italian mom used to grow in her Vancouver, B.C. area garden. Her mom passed away four years ago, but my friend's sister was able to locate some of the dry beans tucked inside envelopes in their mom's basement. Another acquaintance provided me with samples of two other beans that her Italian parents have been growing out for over 40 years, so now I have five bean varieties with Italian roots. They are so beautiful!
Looks like you have 2 Phaseolus Coccineus beans. One of them is pure white. The other Coccineus looks like Scarlet Runner. Also looks like you have a pinto type and pure white bean and a Borlotti. Very Nice. Did the beans come with any names? Just curious.

naa'oli

Leafing Out
Reaction score
One of the things I have enjoyed on the threads have been the various stories. Since this thread is about beans, I will share mine specifically about them.
When I was 3 my family moved onto the farm here in Southern Idaho with my paternal grandparents. From then until I was 10 we always had a vegetable garden. My earliest memories are helping mom plant the beans. Then the drought years hit, we were unable to have a garden for many years.
The summer in between my 7th and 8th grade, asked mom if I could have a garden. Of course she agreed. That little approx. 10 x 10 garden had 3 types of plants, radishes, 1 zucchini and green beans.
The next year the garden was moved to a much bigger and better space. Here is one of those times I wish I could take my knowledge that I have now and go back in time and try again. Grandpa gave me some bean seed to grow. He told me that the original seed had come with his parents from the Netherlands. Planted them in early July and they produced pods, but never matured before the frost hit, also plant all the seed we had.
As for gardening, was hooked, and have tried to have one ever since. My first successful saved bean was Hopi Purple String. I have saved many varieties since. Thought I had a good sized collection until I needed to find some replacements for my Zuni Shalako a little over 3 years ago. Found a website called "a bean collectors window." Found out I didn't have a lot of varieties, but there were so much more. It is also how I found out about TEG and have been following ever since.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Update on network beans: I started them in little pots or 4 cell ones you buy tomatoes and peppers and such in. Learned that on this thread! Barry island (white bean poles snap) emerged pretty good, Drabo (bush white) was poor I only had 2 of 8 and replanted 2 more i saved back. we will see if they grow or not, and pea bean turkey was pretty good (red and white pole) but Veitchs climbing has been real poor emerger, I even had those in a little bigger pot. I have 1 so far of 10, with 1 single seed saved. Must of had some germ issues? No pest damage or anything just swell up a little and get mush and not emerge. No problem though I'll get 60 beans from that single plant and send em in. Super wet again here in Indiana, just need to plant a couple of these last remaining network beans that need to sprout in the garden and will be good to go. I'll send pics later when I get home if I remember!

dcfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My network beans have also germinated and are happily sprouting up from the soil in seedling trays in my basement. Unfortunately the cowpeas seedlings that I direct sowed into the garden have been completely destroyed by some type of bug in the garden. I suspect they were pill bugs/roly polies…I am overrun with them in the garden this year. I had laid down chopped leaves over my rows and beds in the fall and thought they would make a great mulch for my young plants this Spring…lesson learned…I will be removing the leaves in the Spring before planting. Does anyone have any tips for protecting my bean seedlings as I plant them out in the coming weeks? I am planning to sprinkle diatomaceous earth around my young plants, but would welcome any other organic solutions you may know.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My network beans have also germinated and are happily sprouting up from the soil in seedling trays in my basement. Unfortunately the cowpeas seedlings that I direct sowed into the garden have been completely destroyed by some type of bug in the garden. I suspect they were pill bugs/roly polies…I am overrun with them in the garden this year. I had laid down chopped leaves over my rows and beds in the fall and thought they would make a great mulch for my young plants this Spring…lesson learned…I will be removing the leaves in the Spring before planting. Does anyone have any tips for protecting my bean seedlings as I plant them out in the coming weeks? I am planning to sprinkle diatomaceous earth around my young plants, but would welcome any other organic solutions you may know.
I just googled these bugs @dcfox, they look like mini armadillos. I have no experience with them, but I think there is at least a possibility using e culture might deter them. Diatomaceous earth works really well too for some pests, though it hasn't worked on ants for me. Hard coated bugs seem resistant to it, but if those pill bugs have soft bellies it might work.

Latest posts