Tuvagliedda Nera.jpg

Lengua de Lobo

Lengua de Lobo.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some beans started climbing.

glad to see you posting again :).

i've just now gotten to where i can plant all the rest of the gardens with beans. the entire coming week might be mostly rainy so i'm not sure how much i may get done.

my earliest planting of beans is about 15cm tall and it looks like no chances of frost now so that is good.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Given that I have only grown beans for a few years I am unsure of whether I should fertilize the seedlings. We are coming to the end of several weeks of cold wet weather, with about 9" of rain falling since mid-May and very little sunshine. The plants have been in a holding pattern, and at the moment all of the seedlings are lime green instead of dark green. Will they likely be okay if I do nothing? My instincts are telling me to give the pole beans a boost in the form of a shot of liquid fish and kelp, along with a thin top dressing of compost. We picked up a yard of composted manure as well, and a 1/2" of that could also help perk them up.🤔

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Given that I have only grown beans for a few years I am unsure of whether I should fertilize the seedlings. We are coming to the end of several weeks of cold wet weather, with about 9" of rain falling since mid-May and very little sunshine. The plants have been in a holding pattern, and at the moment all of the seedlings are lime green instead of dark green. Will they likely be okay if I do nothing? My instincts are telling me to give the pole beans a boost in the form of a shot of liquid fish and kelp, along with a thin top dressing of compost. We picked up a yard of composted manure as well, and a 1/2" of that could also help perk them up.🤔
My 2 cents would be to give the plants the kelp and fish emulsion, I give all my plants kelp, alfalfa and azomite once they've been in the ground a week or two. A thin dressing of manure sounds good too. I dressed all my bean beds this spring with my new soil, which was heavy with composted manure. I think adding those amendments would be a benefit to them. That said though, periods of cold weather affect a beans ability to uptake certain nutrients, and, they dislike wet feet in a huge way. Dry soil and warm sun is probably most likely to green the leaves up again more than anything. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Almost all my beans are in! A few more transplants to go in tomorrow, and a few seeds, and that's that! I did something I've not done before (not much anyway) , I doubled up the amount I planted for network beans. Instead of 4 plants for poles, I put in 8 for some, and for Blue Gold Star I put in all 12. All the doubles went in different locations and gardens. I featured a few of the network beans doubles in my edible landscaping front yard project even though I won't be eating them this year. The evening stroll folks can enjoy them there too! Most of the beans selected for there were semi-runners and bush beans. I got some runner beans this year from a fellow on the SSE (which I joined) that I've always wanted to try - Insuk's Wang Kong. I don't want to grow runner beans with my main P. vulgaris bean gardens anymore, so DH made me a trellis for the front yard where I can grow them separately. I didn't really expect to be growing other beans in the front yard this year, but that's how it turned out so I'm just going with it this year. Good times!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
almost finished the first of the bean garden plantings yesterday morning but it got too hot and i was also running out of time. not sure if i'll be planting this morning or not. some rains may be in the works and i'm not quite awake enough yet to operate anything including something simple like a shovel...

jbrobin09

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Almost all my beans are in! A few more transplants to go in tomorrow, and a few seeds, and that's that! I did something I've not done before (not much anyway) , I doubled up the amount I planted for network beans. Instead of 4 plants for poles, I put in 8 for some, and for Blue Gold Star I put in all 12. All the doubles went in different locations and gardens.
Wait, are we not supposed to plant all the network beans? Do you only plant 4 seeds usually due to lack of space? Or hold some back in case something takes out the first batch? I didn’t think of that possibility…

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wait, are we not supposed to plant all the network beans? Do you only plant 4 seeds usually due to lack of space? Or hold some back in case something takes out the first batch? I didn’t think of that possibility…
I always keep some back, just in case. I usually plant 1/2 of the bush bean seeds, and 1/3 of the pole beans and if things don't work out I can try again the following year. Every year there seems to be one bean in the bunch that doesn't succeed for me and because I keep some seed back I've always been able to return that one missing network bean in the following year's grow out.

Last edited:

Latest posts