3rd crop of yellow squash

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it Sticks of Butter or Cubes of Butter? I can't find Sticks of Butter. I have been growing Cubes of Butter for a couple of years. I buy the seeds at Ace Hardware, Botanical Interests.
That's it !

:hide It seems that I had forgotten the name between the time that I planted the seed and the time of harvest.

Steve

Duckworth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't get a lot of yellow squash this year, despite planting quite a bit of it. Vine borers got into virtually every one of my squash plants. I cut them out and a few plants survived. Then, I planted again and vine borers got about half of them, despite my cutting them out of the new plants, too. Then the cucumber beetles and stink bugs showed up. A lot of the melons died of wilt.

A very frustrating year for squash. I did get several large, but not fibrous or seedy zucchini, which I sliced and turned into sweet and sour pickles. I usually keep careful notes of everything I plant and how it did, but this season had a lot of other things going on, so I didn't.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't get a lot of yellow squash this year, despite planting quite a bit of it. Vine borers got into virtually every one of my squash plants. I cut them out and a few plants survived. Then, I planted again and vine borers got about half of them, despite my cutting them out of the new plants, too. Then the cucumber beetles and stink bugs showed up. A lot of the melons died of wilt.

A very frustrating year for squash. I did get several large, but not fibrous or seedy zucchini, which I sliced and turned into sweet and sour pickles. I usually keep careful notes of everything I plant and how it did, but this season had a lot of other things going on, so I didn't.
I find consecutive planting helps avoid the pests-not for all of course just the one planted at just the right time. I guess it did not work for you. If you have chickens let them forage inn your garden through the winter.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

There are some years that if you get anything at all, consider it a victory!

Duckworth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I find consecutive planting helps avoid the pests-not for all of course just the one planted at just the right time. I guess it did not work for you. If you have chickens let them forage inn your garden through the winter.
I just have ducks, but our fence isn't high enough to let them free range in the yard, so they have a large enclosed pen. Lots of duck predators here. I do spread their spent straw on the garden for mulch, since duck waste isn't hot like chicken waste is.

I think I need to go out very early in the spring and rake open the top of my garden beds to expose larva to the cold. Our winter wasn't as cold as usual last year and we had a broad spectrum of insect pests that I had not had trouble with before.

Latest posts